15 October 2008

Booking throughThursday


Here's today's Booking through Thursday. Full description can be found on the BTT blog.

. . . there is also a category of titles that I've clung to for years, as they survived numerous purges. . . . I've yet to read them, but am absolutely certain I will. And should. When, I'm not sure, as I'm constantly distracted. . . .
So the question for BTT is this: What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?

This is a fun one, because I do have these sorts of books. I took a look at some of my unread "but I'm not giving up on them yet" books and thought, "These don't really count yet, there not old enough." But I guess 20+ years does count! So here's a handful, in no particular order, that I acquired before 1990. I really do intend to get to them . . . someday!
  1. Life before Man, Margaret Atwood
  2. Breathing Lessons, Anne Tyler
  3. The Book of Ruth, Jane Hamilton
  4. The Lost Continent, Bill Bryson
  5. Field Days, Roger Swain
  6. Voss, Patrick White
And I have more that are older and newer. I like the hope that comes with the unread books. Hope that I'll have the time and my eyes will hold out and I'll live long enough to get to them all.

13 comments:

Anonymous,  10/15/08, 3:38 PM  

I love Anne Tyler's work! Bill Bryson makes me laugh out loud. You've got a couple of good books there.

Robin M 10/15/08, 5:52 PM  

The only one I recognize is Margaret Atwood. Hmmm! Look like interesting books.

Played early - mine's up now.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Cathy 10/16/08, 12:49 AM  

I think of them as a type of security blanket. :-)

Anonymous,  10/16/08, 1:09 AM  

the way you write about hope and possibilities in unread books made me sigh happily.

SmilingSally 10/16/08, 3:55 AM  

It lends a certain sense of security to have a book to read.

Erin 10/16/08, 9:13 AM  

I had to teach myself restraint when I started working in the bookstore. I really, really need my paycheck to cover things like rent, so I actually had to design a budget. I've gotten past the initial "oooooh, books everywhere, and I can get them cheap!!" thing. Now I see a book I'd like to read and order it from a library. If I like it and want to own it, I keep my eyes out for it at used book sales. The only books I buy are ones I can't get from the library but really want and think I'll read more than once, but it took me a while to get there!!

Anonymous,  10/16/08, 9:22 AM  

Beth, I have Atwood and Bryson sitting on my shelf too but neither has been there long.

Chrisbookarama 10/16/08, 11:01 AM  

I haven't heard of that Atwood before. You'll have to read it and tell us how it was ;)

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie 10/16/08, 12:15 PM  

I agree with gautami - start with Atwood :)

One of my literary life goals is to own every book by and about Atwood. (and to read them, of course, lol)

Anonymous,  10/16/08, 7:41 PM  

I love Atwood and Bryson! SOunds like you have a great TBR shelf.

Audrey 10/17/08, 7:59 AM  

I think some of my favorite unread books are more than 20 years old, but I'm not going to look! :) Thanks for visiting; I'm going to enjoy this group. I've been meaning to read something by Mark Kurlansky (I'll look for Cod.)
Audrey

Anonymous,  10/18/08, 12:11 AM  

I've also been meaning to read Atwood and Voss for a while now. Someday...

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP