13 November 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Why Buy?

Here's today's Booking Through Thursday. For the complete meme and for everyone else's answers, click here.

Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I'm betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. . . . What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?

If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?


Buying: I am a life-long buyer of books. I love books, I love their look and smell. I revisit books, and I want them available whenever the mood strikes. I don't like the pressure of deadlines and due dates in my leisure time (I have enough of that at work). I want to be able to read books in my own time at my own speed.

Borrowing: After a lifetime of buying books, we're getting crowded out of the house! We have no more walls for bookshelves, and things are getting out of hand. Also, I have realized that some books are never read a second time. I never, for example, reread mysteries (one of my top genres), so it really makes no sense to own them. Thus I've become selective in my buying.

Changing habits: One way I've saved us from drowning under books--and increased my reading time--is to listen to audiobooks. I am big on digital downloads (no physical book!) and listen almost exclusively on one of my MP3 players. My library offers digital downloads and I have taken advantage of that. I also check out audiobooks (even cassettes) from my library. For some odd reason I don't feel the same deadline pressure with an audiobook -- well, probably because I way more opportunities to listen than I do to sit and read.

Ok. More than anyone wanted to know . . . and I'm not even sure I answered the question.

19 comments:

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 8:14 AM  

Audio books are great also, only thing is, I WANT to buy them and they are not cheap! So I have borrowed one or two from th Library, but I'd still even rather buy those also! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Audrey 11/13/08, 8:30 AM  

I'm the same way about mysteries...and I'm jealous of your ability to get downloads from the library. LOL at "even cassettes" - my Walkman takes them and I have to search out books on cassette so I can read while I walk!

SmilingSally 11/13/08, 9:14 AM  

I've used the library for audio books whenever my husband and I are taking a long trip. I usually check out 3 or more in case we don't like one. Here's my answer: http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 9:15 AM  

I am trying to like audiobooks. I have listened to a few this year but I still prefer to hold the book in my hands.

Kit Courteney 11/13/08, 9:38 AM  

I'd forgotten about audio books. I listen (buy) a lot so why I forgot I have no idea!

I don't think my library has many of those either :o(

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 10:04 AM  

We used to buy, don't as often anymore.

Here is our Booking Through Thursday post.

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 11:34 AM  

I like the feel, smell of books. Owning books gives so much pleasure!


Must buy!

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 3:17 PM  

Time crunch of a library book won't work for me. I have to take my time and wait for the right mood! But I do borrow books, they are usually of low priority on my list.

I'm always buying books. I buy them because I want to have them, period. I like to maintain a history of my reading over the years. There are so many good literature out there that have been overlooked by readers that after the first, or second printing they will go out-of-print. I'm always buying and preserving what I enjoy reading.

Robin M 11/13/08, 4:56 PM  

I didn't have the time to answer the question today. I like your answers though. I probably would have said the same thing. I can't listen to audio books and do something else at the same time. I end up tuning out the book and it just becomes background noise. Great Post.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Julia 11/13/08, 5:00 PM  

I agree on your reason for buying and borrowing. I feel the same way. And yes, you have answer the question :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. I wish you a good day!

Yvonne 11/13/08, 8:48 PM  

We are very much alike! I feel the same way you do about books and deadlines. Plus, I've recently started taking audio books from the library and don't feel the same pressure with them.

Anonymous,  11/13/08, 8:56 PM  

I still can't get used to audio books, no matter how many times I try. Maybe the 100th time, the charm?

JonJon Rosaleen 11/14/08, 6:28 AM  

Hi..
It's a good idea to use the audiobooks. In my place, audiobooks are quite expensive. And I haven't seen any of our libraries here provide free & easy downloads.
Thank you for dropping by & please do come back soon!

Happy Reading!!! :)

SmilingSally 11/14/08, 8:02 AM  

Beth,
Come visit; I have an award for you.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  11/14/08, 8:51 AM  

I do a bit (or a lot) of both - we use the library, but I buy MANY books. I never know what I'll be in the mood for, and having a stocked home library gives me choices.

As I said in my post, "books are my vice!"

Hazellie 11/14/08, 11:07 AM  

You're right about not feeling the pressure with audio books. I think it'd be so much easier to put on your headphones while doing your regular chores than it is to read a physical book! LOL! They're so expensive to buy though, and the libraries here are really outdated. =(

bethany (dreadlock girl) 11/14/08, 5:55 PM  

yes, drowning in books....that makes sense to me!! My friend came over recently and suggested that I build shelves along the walls right below the ceiling!!!

was that a hint that our walls are closing in on us!?

hhahahaha.

Beth F 11/14/08, 6:00 PM  

Bethany: ok I'm crazy, but I'm starting to eye up my ceilings... hummm.

Shana 11/16/08, 8:56 PM  

Beth, I've been getting better about giving away books I don't think I'll read, or pass along to my kids, friends, etc. but I have a long way to go!

Shana
Literarily

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP