01 December 2008

Review: Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

In Inkworld, the printed word has power: Authors control the lives of their characters, and special readers have the ability to take people and creatures out of one story and put them into another. Have you ever wanted to walk in the land of your favorite book? Once there, you may change your mind.

Inkspell is the second in a YA fantasy trilogy. This review assumes you've read the first book, Inkheart. To read just my recommendation, skip to below the asterisks.

Fourteen-year-old Meggie knows that being in someone else's story is not always a good idea. Even so, she dreams of entering into the book Inkheart, where there are blue fairies and kings and castles. When Farid begs Meggie to send him to Inkworld so he can join his mentor/friend Dustfinger, Meggie can't resist. She leaves all she knows and loves and goes with the boy into the book. The children could not have known the string of disasters that this would set off.

Inkworld's stability is threatened by the introduction of people who were not in the original story and by the resurrection of characters who had gone missing or who were presumed dead. Furthermore, there seems to be too many authors--or is it no author?--and Inkworld's future is uncertain. Will Fenoglio, the author of Inkheart, be able to stop the war, mend soured relationships, and heal the injured? Can Mo, or even Orpheus, help? After reunions, kidnappings, murders, and deceptions, the book comes to a surprising end, and we're left with a cliff-hanger. Fortunately, the last novel, Inkdeath, has already been published so I won't have to wait long to see what happens.

* * * * *
This trilogy will be a delight for anyone who believes in the power of words. The settings are so vividly described that I have a clear picture of each forest, house, and farm. Funke's characters grow and change and make mistakes. They love, they hate, they cope or not. And I hardly know how to describe Dustfinger, who is one of the most complex and conflicted characters I've come across. He is now one of my favorites.

The unabridged audio edtion (Listening Library) was read by Brendan Fraser. He was absolutely perfect for this book and especially for Dustfinger. One of my favorite audios.

Inkspell includes a map, charming pen and ink drawings, and glossary of characters. Don't miss this trilogy.

Published by Chicken House, 2005
ISBN-13: 9780439554008
Challenge: 25 Books
Rating: A+

12 comments:

Marny 12/1/08, 7:12 AM  

I haven't read the Inkheart trilogy yet but I plan on reading it as part of the Countdown Challenge. I'm really looking forward to it.

Anonymous,  12/1/08, 7:46 AM  

I've been reading so much about the Inkheart books - I've just got to try them. Thanks for a great review.

Michele 12/1/08, 11:12 AM  

The first book of the trilogy is sitting here just waiting for me to read it....reviews like these are very exciting to read. :)

Anonymous,  12/1/08, 10:54 PM  

I have Inkdeath waiting on my to-read shelf, and reading this review made me anxious to get to it!

Book Lover Lisa 12/3/08, 11:52 AM  

I started inkheart and never finished it. Maybe I'll have to give it another try. I've enjoyed all of the other Funke I have read

Book Lover Lisa 12/3/08, 11:56 AM  

Oh, and I just saw your comment on my Ender in Exile review. Orson Scot Card does have a good bit of fantasy. A whole series that I have never gotten into, but one of his stand alone books that I really enjoyed is called Enchantment . It is fantasy, a kind of modern day/old russian/romance fantasy.

Anonymous,  12/3/08, 2:23 PM  

I'm intrigued by your review. I don't know if I'm brave enough to join the Cornelia Funke challenge but am adding Inkheart to my YA challenge.

The Bookworm 12/3/08, 8:18 PM  

I'm currently reading Inkheart...and really enjoying it :)
I'll probably pick this one up when I'm done.
I agree, Dustfinger is a great character.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Carrie 12/6/08, 11:43 AM  

I absolutely LOVED the first book and can't wait to see the movie in January! (I"ve already booked a babysitter so that we can go see it opening night.) My husband is reading it now.

However, I wasn't as fond of Inkspell. Maggie just felt too forced to grow up....like Funke just couldn't resist building a romance for the 14 year old. I found that disappointing and the second book far less magical than the first.

I'd be curious for your thoughts on the third book when you get to it!

hopeinbrazil 12/6/08, 12:48 PM  

I was glad to see these books in our library recently. I plan to check them out over Christmas break (if I can get to them before someone else does!)

Laura 12/6/08, 2:04 PM  

I loved the first book and am looking forward to reading Inkspell. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous,  6/14/09, 8:21 PM  

So I got Inkheart based on this review like forever ago - but I had to catch up on all my ARCs. I just started reading it today and even though I'm not very far into it - I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP