24 January 2009

Weekly Link Round-Up (Jan. 24)


Here's my first Weekly Link Round-Up.

Any Lost fans out there? Amy, of My Friend Amy fame, had an interesting post about the connection between the television show and books and reading. In fact, she's hosting a reading challenge based on the books mentioned in the series.

Do you review ARCs or receive books from authors or publishers? What are your thoughts about revealing the source of the book you're discussing? Join the lively conversation about this issue over at Trish's blog, Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?

It's always great when a author agrees to be interviewed by a blogger. Shelburns was lucky enough to talk to Tony Peters, who wrote Kids on a Case: The Ten Grand Kidnapping. This young Canadian has a lot going for him, don't miss meeting him at Write for a Reader.

* * * * *
Wendi just finished reading The Valentine Edition by Robin Shope. If you're a fan of Christian Romance, you should check out the review at Wend's Book Corner for this "wonderfully romantic story that helps the reader to gently remember the importance of prayer, forgiveness and faith."

ForstRose at Bibliophile's Retreat has a great suggestion for historical fiction fans with an interest in the church. Here's what she has to say about The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke: "I'm not sure how to balance this rave out with more sober thoughts on the book as truly I wasn't able to find anything not to love about it."

If Jesus ran for president, would you vote for him? Roland Merulla's novel American Savior follows Jesus on the campaign trail. In a great review of this work of contemporary fiction, Kathy, of Bermudaonion's Weblog, tells us: "This book is humorous as well as thought provoking and I enjoyed reading it."

Marta of Marta's Meanderings posted a nice review of Houston, We Have a Problema, by Gwendolyn Zepeda. This is contemporary fiction about a young woman trying to find her way in the world. Here's a quote from the review: "It has a strong latino theme to it, but it definitely crosses all cultures with the themes of growing up, tolerance and acceptance."

If you like the mob and/or a good thriller head on over to Booking Mama to read Julie's review of Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. Julie says: "I enjoyed how the story was told using flashbacks into Peter's childhood and prior mob life because it gave the reader insight into his character. I also appreciated seeing how conflicted Peter was."

Mystery lovers should check out the review of Conscience Point by Erica Abeel over at S. Krishna's Books. Here's a snippet: "Conscience Point is fashioned as a modern-day Gothic mystery . . . that's very easy to get lost in."

Hope you enjoyed this Weekly Link Round-Up. Let me know if you'd like to see more of this kind of post.

14 comments:

Louise 1/24/09, 10:12 AM  

I loved your Weekly Link Round Up and it is certainly something I will look forward to read every week. Also, it is a great way to point readers towards blogs they may not know etc. Really a great idea!

Sandy Nawrot 1/24/09, 11:36 AM  

I agree, this is good stuff! I am probably the only person on the planet that doesn't watch "Lost". I missed out on the first and second seasons, and by that time I didn't think I could get caught up!

This is the fifth or sixth mention I have seen about Beat the Reaper. Gonna have to add it to the list!

Thanks for the great info! Have a great weekend!

Unknown 1/24/09, 1:50 PM  

I also love this! It's great having someone else doind all the hard work, and finding the little treasures in other people's blog!

Hoarders Extraordinaire 1/24/09, 2:20 PM  

Great post! Thanks for the mention ;)

Sandy, don't feel bad...I haven't ever watched LOST either...

Becca 1/24/09, 2:36 PM  

Yes, yes, more please! :)

I do the same kind of thing with Super Saturdays that I just started last week. I love recognizing good books and good blogging! :)

And, guess what, I have never watched Lost either. Gasp! :)

Amy 1/24/09, 2:54 PM  

Beth this is awesome. Really and truly.

And if you haven't watched LOST...please give it a go!

Beth F 1/24/09, 2:59 PM  

Actually, I haven't watched Lost, but I am intrigued by the idea of a TV show that places books in the forefront.

Anonymous,  1/24/09, 3:28 PM  

*Conscience Point* caught my eye in Swapna's review, too; I added it to my Friday Finds.

Thanks for all the links, Beth ... I'm off to check out some of them.

Rebachin 1/24/09, 4:51 PM  

I too enjoyed all this hard work you put into providing these links... great way for me to find new lovely bookish people... and see what everyone's doing out there.
Thanks!
Rebachin

Wendi 1/25/09, 12:17 PM  

Beth - I love your post! Especially the use of quotes - I'll have to remember that for next week.

:) Wendi

S. Krishna 1/25/09, 1:37 PM  

Thanks for giving me an example of how to do this :-)

Beth F 1/25/09, 3:39 PM  

Ok. Here are my thoughts. I like the idea of rounding up some links to share. This experiment was to do a group thing, see how it worked, and then figure out a way to include everyone who wanted to join in. We're still working on that idea.

However, I am encouraged enough by all of your comments that I'm going to try to do a similar type of post on my own at least once a month. It takes a surprising amount of time to put together a thoughtful post of this type.

Beth F 1/25/09, 4:58 PM  

Amy from the blog My Friend Amy, cited in the post, came up with this idea. She is working on blog so the people who are interested can link up together and share their great posts.

Anonymous,  1/26/09, 12:52 AM  

Fun stuff! I started to watch the very first Lost episode, but the plane was crashing and I was going on a trip to England the following month and I didn't want to watch a plane crash. So that was it for me and Lost.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP