02 February 2009

Review: Eyes of the Storm by Jeff Smith


Note: This review assumes you've read volumes 1 and 2 of Smith's Bone series. If you haven't, you may want to jump right to my thoughts, although I don't think I've revealed any true spoilers.

My Summary: After helping Gran'ma Ben repair her house, Lucius, Smiley, and Phoney return to Barrelhaven to check on the tavern, while Gran'ma, Thorn, and Fone stay on the farm. A sudden, heavy thunderstorm overtakes the valley just as Lucius and the Bones see signs of rat creatures in the forest. They have to find a way to outsmart the creatures and make it safely into town. Meanwhile, Gran'ma Ben overhears Thorn and Fone discussing their recent nightmares, and she finally tells them some of the secrets she has been hiding from her granddaughter. Now the three have to make some tough choices. And deep in the forest, the giant king of the rat creatures is seen taking orders from the hooded Lord of Locusts.

My Thoughts: The action really picks up in Eyes of the Storm, and the plot lines begin to solidify. As we learn some of the Thorn's background, we have an increasing sense of danger—not only for the main characters but also for the entire valley. At the end of the book, the Bones and their friends are at a turning point, and we are left wondering where the tale is taking us.

Lest you think that this volume is all seriousness, let me reassure you that Smith has managed to inject his great sense of humor into several scenes. We are treated to a new take on Fone's ongoing obsession with Melville's Moby-Dick, and I love Smiley's reactions to life.

This volume is traditionally considered the end of the first part of the entire Bone saga. And indeed it seems that we have met the major players and that the heart of the story is just about to unfold. I am anticipating future volumes to have many elements of traditional myth tales, as defined by Joseph Campbell. Stay tuned!

I read this book to meet a number of challenges (listed below). To learn more about the challenges and to see what others are reading, click on the title above the progress bar in the left margin.


Published by Scholastic, 2006
ISBN-13: 9780439706384
Challenges: A-Z Title, Support Your Library, 100+, 999, Graphic Novels
Rating: A
YTD: 9

6 comments:

Sandy Nawrot 2/2/09, 11:27 AM  

Do think it is necessary to start at the beginning of the series if I wanted to read them?

Beth F 2/2/09, 11:32 AM  

Sandy: I do think they should be read in order, but each book can be read in an hour or so. I read both vol. 4 & vol. 5 last night during the first half of the football game!

bermudaonion 2/3/09, 7:17 AM  

I tried to find this series in a bookstore the other day. All I could remember was a graphic novel called Bone. I couldn't find it and couldn't find anyone to help me. These books look like so much fun. I'll keep looking.

Unknown 2/4/09, 6:27 AM  

I think I have some of the Bone books for sale on my online shop - I'll have to dig them out and read one! Hopefully I'll have the first one!

Unknown 9/13/12, 3:25 PM  

@bermudaonion

You can find the bone series in barnes & noble .. It would be close to the children's section ,.. :) best of luck .. and by the way , these are really good books .. i've read them

Unknown 9/13/12, 3:32 PM  

@bermudaonion

You can find the bone series in a barnes & noble nearest to you. They will be located by the children's section .. If not, then they will be by the graphic novels .. I strongly recommend that you read the series because i read it. It's a great book, so read on !

P.S.
I wish you the best of luck :)

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP