23 June 2009

Review: Magickeepers by Erica Kirov


Young Nick Rostov has spent his life in Las Vegas hotels. He is the son of one of the worst magicians on or off the Strip. If only his father were like the great Damian; tickets to his shows are sold out three years in advance.

On the night of his thirteenth birthday, Nick's grandfather takes him to Madame Bogdonovich's Magical Curiosity Shoppe, where the boy is given a chance to look into a crystal ball. Nick thinks his grandfather is crazy—everyone knows that crystal balls are a hoax. But to appease the old man, he takes a look, and to his amazement, he can see far back in time. Nick, however, is unable to foretell where this newly discovered skill will take him.

The magic in Kirov's novel is of three kinds: There are the familiar slight-of-hand magicians like Nick's father and Harry Houdini; there are the black magicians, or Shadowkeepers, such as Rasputin; and then there are the Magickeepers, or good magicians, like Damian. Until his birthday, the only magic Nick knew, was what his father had taught him. But within days, the boy would see firsthand the power of both good and evil magic.

Other themes in this fast-moving middle reader fantasy are the importance of family and learning to trust oneself. Older readers will get a kick out of the "true" stories behind Houdini's skills and ultimate death, the fate of Russia's Princess Anastasia, and why Rasputin seemed to be impossible to kill.

Don't look for wizards or dragons or unicorns; Magickeepers is all about the magic and takes place firmly in our world. On the other hand, there is much to spark a youngster's wonder and imagination, and the end of the book leaves us wanting to know more about Nick and his further adventures.

This book will appeal to nine- to twelve-year-olds looking for a new fantasy series that features a young boy who is easy to relate to. Girls will be drawn to Nick's cousin Isabella and several other woman characters. Magickeepers is a bit young for high schoolers, but fans of the genre shouldn't hesitate to read the novel.

You can learn a little more about Erica Kirov on Sourcebook's website.


Published by Sourcebooks, 2009
ISBN-13: 9781402215018
Challenges: A-Z Author, 999, 100+
YTD: 49
Rating: B

12 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) 6/23/09, 9:54 AM  

Sounds like something that I would like a well. I am always on the lookout for books for my cousin. She likes magic.

Julie P. 6/23/09, 10:29 AM  

Fantastic review. So well said! I thought this book was very entertaining and I can't wait for more of Nick and his adventures!

Jenners 6/23/09, 11:04 AM  

This sounds really neat ... and a book that would have just captured my imagination as a child ... and possible as an adult!

TexasRed 6/23/09, 11:30 AM  

This sounds like lots of fun! Thanks for the introduction -- I'll keep an eye out for it.

bermudaonion 6/23/09, 1:31 PM  

I think my nephew might like this one - thanks for the review.

Kailana 6/23/09, 1:40 PM  

I read this earlier this year. It was entertaining. Not the best thing I have ever read before, but I look forward to more in the series.

Jenn's Bookshelves 6/23/09, 4:22 PM  

This is one of the books my oldest will be reviewing! We're very excited :)

Melody 6/23/09, 7:42 PM  

Sounds great! I love reading books about magic! ;)

Fiona 6/23/09, 10:20 PM  

I'll add this to my son Joshua's "must read" book list and suggest it to him. Sometimes it's hard to pick what he'll like...

Margot 6/24/09, 12:22 AM  

This does sound good for middle readers. I think that's about the age they like to mess around with simple magic tricks. Another good one.Thanks.

Mary 6/28/09, 1:46 AM  

I'm always looking for good elementary student fantasy series for my school library and this sounds like a good one. Thanks!

Anna 7/7/09, 12:32 PM  

I snagged this one at BEA for my daughter. She's looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP