27 October 2009

Challenge: Shelf Discovery

Julie of Booking Mama is hosting a great challenge. Participants get a chance to either revisit favorite YA books or catch up on the ones we may have missed.

Yep, I'm signing up for the Shelf Discovery Challenge. All I have to do is pick six books that are featured in the book Shelf Discovery and agree to read them over the next six months. Sounds fun and easy, doesn't it? I have from November 1 to April 30 to read some really great childhood novels.

Wondering what I found to read? I have five novels from the book and one "cheater" novel. Let me explain: I haven't read the Austin series by Madeleine L'Engle. The second book is the series is on the official list of Shelf Discovery books. I have a sad problem: I cannot read books out of order, so one of my six books is the first in that series: my cheater. The Louisa May Alcott and E. L. Konigsburg books are repeats for me, but the other four are new.

There are some terrific choices, including two books from the Little House series. I almost picked them but ultimately decided that I do not want to review them or write about them here; I'll just let my reading of that series be noncritical.

My Book List

  1. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  2. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
  3. Meet the Autins by Madeleine L'Engle
  4. Moon by Night by Madeleine L'Engle
  5. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg
  6. An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
I'm very excited about this challenge and the chance to read some novels I missed when I was a kid and refamiliarize myself with some old favorites.



13 comments:

Julie P. 10/27/09, 7:31 AM  

Thanks so much for joining us! I still haven't made my list yet! I just can't decide. FROM THE MIXED UP FILES was one of my favorite books when I was a kid and I recently re-read it for our Mother-Daughter book club!

bermudaonion 10/27/09, 8:08 AM  

I'm so glad you're doing this challenge because I think it will be a lot of fun. I've chosen books that I never read too. Good luck!

Anonymous,  10/27/09, 1:27 PM  

This is going to be a fun challenge. I picked a mix of ones I've read and ones I haven't.

Laura 10/27/09, 2:20 PM  

I'm really looking forward to this! I like your list too. I remember Julie of the Wolves and might have to read it again. And Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorites! Have fun!

Florinda 10/27/09, 2:22 PM  

This challenge looks like so much fun I couldn't resist! The Moon by Night is on my list too, but it's a repeat for me. Just like you did, I went with four books I've read (back in the Dark Ages) and two that I missed.

And re: your other post today, congratulations on your well-deserved mention as one of the 101 "must-read" book blogs!

Kailana 10/27/09, 5:15 PM  

Yay for Madeleine L'Engle!

That's really all I have to say. :)

Jenners 10/27/09, 10:05 PM  

"The Mixed Up Files..." is one of my all-time favorite books! You'll love it. I cannot be in a museum of any kind without thinking of it!

Josette 10/27/09, 10:51 PM  

An Old-Fashioned Girl is such an endearing book!

Stephanie 10/28/09, 11:04 AM  

I think I'll be joining this one also!

Ramona 10/28/09, 8:53 PM  

If you dive into the Austin series you will definitely want to read A Ring of Endless light. My favorite of the series!

Vasilly 10/29/09, 4:24 PM  

Great list! I have Konigsburg on my reading list for this challenge also. Happy reading!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP