29 October 2009

Unfinished: Sword of Fire and Ice by John Matthews

During the read-a-thon, I picked up The Chronicles of Arthur: Sword of Fire and Ice, by John Matthews. It's a graphic novel illustrated by Mike Collins.

Publisher's Summary: Before the Round Table. Before the great quests, before he was king . . .

Many stories have been told of King Arthur. Young Arthur's days were full of adventures that prepared him for the life that lay ahead. As a boy, Arthur lived in a time and place where all things were possible and the old magic prevailed. Get ready to step inside the ancient world of Albion and see Arthur like you've never seen him before. . .

Why I Abandoned the Book: Yes, indeed, this was Arthur as I've never seem him before. The book starts off okay, giving an alternate telling of Arthur's very early years before he meets Merlin. But on page 11, we are introduced to a large green creature who looks suspiciously like The Hulk. Then on page 16, we discover the "first born," who look like large purple insects with shiny green eyes. It was then that I decided this book was not for me. I guess I'm just too much of a traditionalist when it comes to Arthur.

A Quick Look at Reviews: First I took a look at several commercial book sites. Neither Powell's, Barnes & Noble, nor Amazon had any consumer reviews. That alone is interesting. Maybe no one has read it yet? To be fair, the book came out only a month ago. Two members of Library Thing own the book but did not review it; the average rating was 2.5 stars. Good Reads and Shelfari provided no ratings or reviews. A quick search for blog reviews also turned up nothing.

If you have read this graphic novel, please let me know what you thought. Maybe I missed something. If so, I am willing to give it another try.

Published by Aladdin Paperbacks, 2009
ISBN-13: 9781416959083
Source: Bought (see review policy)

5 comments:

Julie P. 10/29/09, 8:09 AM  

This one probably isn't for me!

bermudaonion 10/29/09, 10:43 AM  

I don't think this is for me either!

Anonymous,  10/29/09, 1:23 PM  

Not for me either. I love the idea of Arthur as a kid, but it sounds like it goes too far astray for me.

Margot 10/29/09, 7:55 PM  

This is disappointing. I'm just starting graphic novels and one thing I've learned - I can't evaluate the way I do other novels. The synopsis says one thing and the book is often something else.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) 10/30/09, 12:15 AM  

I started laughing out loud when you mentioned someone who looked suspiciously like the Hulk. Glad I wasn't drinking anything!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP