03 November 2009

Today's Read: Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle


My name is Vicky, and I'm twelve years old. This year, a ten-year-old named Maggy has come to live with us. Before that day, I was pretty happy; sure I fought with my brothers and sister, but we were a family and we loved each other. Maggy is an orphan, and I know I should feel sorry for her, but it's really hard to be nice to a spoiled brat. Mother and Daddy say she's never really known love and that's why she acts so mean and bossy. I sure hope I can find a way to live with her, because it looks like she might be here to stay.

For more Where Are You? answers, visit Raidergirl3 at An Adventure in Reading.


MizB at Should Be Reading hosts Teaser Tuesdays. Here's how it works: Grab your current read; let the book fall open to a random page; and share 2 “teaser” sentences from that page. For more teasers, click on through to MizB's blog.

Usually, just before dinner is the nicest time of day, but this evening I suddenly wanted to be alone for a few minutes. Was it just because Maggy had reminded me that I am plain? Mother says that I'm getting very broody, and part of it is my age, and most of it is just me. (p. 28)
—From Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle (Source: bought, see review policy)

Meet the Austins at Powell's
Meet the Austins at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.


16 comments:

Anonymous,  11/3/09, 8:02 AM  

Sounds like a good read. Poor Vicky!

Julie P. 11/3/09, 8:50 AM  

This sounds very interesting. I haven't read much of Madeleine L'Engle's books, but I'd like to!

Andrea 11/3/09, 9:29 AM  

I hadn't heard of this book before. I'll have to check it out.
Great teaser. Here's mine.

Margot 11/3/09, 9:40 AM  

Sounds like the setting for a lot of 'kid drama'. Hope you are enjoying.

Sherrie 11/3/09, 10:28 AM  

Hi Beth,
Sounds like a great book. I'll have to check it out. Mine is posted at my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Michelle 11/3/09, 12:53 PM  

I actually picked this book up last month on the recommendation of another blog. I'm interested to see what you think of it. :)

Lenore Appelhans 11/3/09, 4:55 PM  

This seems so familiar - I'm sure I must have read it at some point. I read a lot of L'Engle back in the day.

Melody 11/3/09, 6:49 PM  

Sounds good to me! :)

Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick 11/3/09, 7:03 PM  

This sounds like a great book. I'll have to check back for your review! :)

Here's mine, from Hilary Mantel's WOLF HALL.

TexasRed 11/3/09, 11:18 PM  

I love the Madeleine L'Engle books, but had a harder time following the Austins than the Wrinkle in Time family.

Veens 11/4/09, 5:44 AM  

That were some great excerpts!

Kailana 11/4/09, 6:13 AM  

I didn't like this series as much as her Time Quartet, but I did enjoy it!

Free Games,  11/4/09, 9:14 AM  

Wow nice games thanks a lot
Really good job
Regards,

Jen - devourer of books 11/4/09, 3:48 PM  

I've only read L'Engle's books from the "Wrinkle in Time" series, although I'm reading "Arm of the Starfish" eventually for the Shelf Discovery Challenge, so I'm interested to see what you think of this!

Belle 11/4/09, 4:29 PM  

Hope you're enjoying this one. While I never enjoyed the Austins series nearly as much as the Wrinkle in Time series, they were still among my favorites growing up - I loved the way there's always a slightly fantastical element in them!

Alice 11/6/09, 4:43 AM  

Great teaser! I'm kinda broody myself too. LOL!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP