07 November 2009

Weekend Cooking: What's on My TBR?

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

This week I want to spotlight four food books I have on my TBR. I am hoping to get to all of them in the next several months. The first two are biographies, the second is a novel, and the third is a cookbook of sorts. Let me know if you have read any of these and what you thought.

Joan Reardon, a cookbook author herself, wrote M. F. K. Fisher, Julia Child & Alice Waters: Celebrating the Pleasures of the Table. Reardon interviewed all three women and had access to personal papers and archives. When the book was published, Fisher had already died. Reardon explores the lives of these women and how they interconnected and traveled on parallel paths as they woke up the American palate. Fisher is one of my all-time favorite authors. Julia Child needs little introduction. Alice Waters was one of the first chefs to emphasize fresh and seasonal. I apologize for the poor quality of the cover shot, but I had a difficult time finding a photo on the Internet. I've owned this book for a number of years and for some reason never got to it.

Published by Harmony Books, 1994
ISBN-10: 0517577488
Source: Bought in the 1990st (see review policy)



Writing at the Kitchen Table by Artemis Cooper is the authorized biography of Elizabeth David. If you don't know, David was one of the major food writers from about 1950 into the mid-1980s. According to the book flap, she was well traveled in Europe, the Mediterranean, and even India. Apparently a couple of scandals were associated with her during her ex-pat years. When she finally returned to England after the war, she was horrified by the drab and uninspiring food of her native country, which led her to write her first food book. She almost single-handedly changed the nature of British cuisine. I hope to read this biography as part of the Women Unbound reading challenge.

Published by Ecco Press, 1999
ISBN-13: 9780060198282
Source: Bought when it came out (see review policy)



The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkel is an epistolary novel, which is a style I usually enjoy. According to the press release from FSB Associates, the book includes about 80 recipes, and I noticed that there is a recipe index. Some of the dishes look pretty appealing. Flipping through the book, I saw that it has some fun graphics and fonts. I hope to read this one sooner than later.

Published by Polhemus Press, October 2009
ISBN-13: 9780982349205
Source: Review copy (see review policy)



The Foodie Handbook by Pim Techamuanvivit is subtitled The (Almost) Definitive Guide to Gastronomy. According to the press release from Chronicle Books, Techamuanvivit writes the food blog Chez Pim and has also contributed to Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, and the New York Times. The book contains recipes, ingredient tips, and food advice. There is a section on how to judge a restaurant, information about food and wine pairings, and a list of 50 things all foodies should do before they die. I'm looking forward to a closer inspection of this book.

Published by Chronicle Books, October 2009
ISBN-13: 9780811868532
Source: Review copy (see review policy)


20 comments:

Louise 11/7/09, 7:55 AM  

Great and inspirational post. I love cookbooks although my cooking repertoire seems to have stalled years ago - I tend to make the same dishes over and over again, which is a shame, since I have an abundance of cookbooks.

I also have a blogging-friend (Danish) who writes one of the most popular non-professional foodie blogs in Denmark, and I know she would love to read any of the books you highlight above. I think I will recommend them for her, although I am not absolutely sure that she reads in English.

Chrisbookarama 11/7/09, 8:14 AM  

Looks like some good reads!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 11/7/09, 9:32 AM  

THE RECIPE CLUB and THE FOODIE HANDBOOK are now on my wishlist!

I forgot to put WHAT my post is about (in the Linky). It's THE BEST MEATLOAF RECIPE (REALLY!)

Sherrie 11/7/09, 9:48 AM  

Hi Beth,
I just finished The Recipe Club. It was a great book. You'll love it. I really want to try some of the recipes in the book. Mine is posted at my place, Sherrie's Stuff. Have a great weekend!!

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff

The Bumbles 11/7/09, 10:53 AM  

That bio about E. David sounds really interesting. Although I'm not a big foodie - reading about it in that way would appeal to me. I look forward to your review.

My link is here about essential tools for your kitchen - I hope you enjoy as I don't know that I'll ever have another food related post to share!!!

Kailana 11/7/09, 1:07 PM  

All four of these look really good!

Margot 11/7/09, 6:37 PM  

I read and reviewed The Recipe Club in October and it was very good. I am very interested in your Joan Readon book. Three of the best food writers make it sound especially interesting.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) 11/7/09, 6:59 PM  

'The Foodie Handbook' sounds good -- especially the part about food and wine pairings. I have a couple good friends who are wine experts that I usually call when I have a question. It'd be nice to know some things myself :)

Jill 11/7/09, 9:37 PM  

The Recipe Club is waiting for me at the library! What a great idea...I'm going to join in, if not this weekend, then next!

Michelle 11/8/09, 8:42 AM  

The Recipe Club looks like my kind of book (based solely on the aesthetics of the cover). I'm not much of a cooker but if I were I'd definitely go for that one.

caite 11/8/09, 12:54 PM  

The Reardon books looks very interesting and I have seen a few reviews of The Recipe Club recently. Actually, I too just love the cover.

caite 11/8/09, 1:39 PM  

double posting because I decided to share a nice dessert recipe while I was at it.
Better late than never! ;-)

Kristen 11/8/09, 6:05 PM  

Oh snap! I meant to do a post for this this weekend. Oh well. Next week! The books you have lined up look great, especially the first two. I've read The Recipe Club, just need to post my review of it.

Anonymous,  11/8/09, 6:49 PM  

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on The Recipe Club.

nat @book, line, and sinker 11/8/09, 7:00 PM  

i had a great time with your challenge! i whipped up my world-famous turkey chili for your amusement. :) cheers!

bermudaonion 11/8/09, 7:42 PM  

The Recipe Club's in my TBR pile too. Writing at the Kitchen Table really looks like a good one, too.

Alice 11/9/09, 12:41 AM  

They all look very good! I must say I'm not a fan of food books but I do like those with lots of yummy pics in them. :D

Jen - devourer of books 11/9/09, 10:43 AM  

I don't know if I said this in your welcome post or not, but I really love the button you have for this! I'm going to make sure to include it on any food-related posts I have!

Petunia 11/11/09, 3:05 AM  

Just learned about this feature thanks to That's How I Blog. :) You beat me to the punch. I've been considering how to consolidate all the food posts from the various book blogs that I read. It seems that a lot of book bloggers are showing their foodie tendencies. I love it.

Veens 11/11/09, 4:20 AM  

I have read good reviews of The Recipe Club!
I wish I had some posts to share :(

But i have no books on this subject!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP