26 December 2009

Weekend Cooking: Cranberry Hot Toddies

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

I'm still in the holiday spirit and want to share with you a great hot drink that my guests always like. This works for a Christmas brunch, apres ski, or for New Year's Eve. Keep it warm in a slow cooker. Refrigerate leftovers and rewarm it by the mug-full in the microwave.

I don't remember where this recipe comes from, but I've been making it for years.

Cranberry Hot Toddies

Makes 16 cups
  • 2 oranges
  • whole cloves
  • 3 quarts 100% juice cranberry juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 bottle (750 ml) dark rum
Cut the oranges in half crosswise and then cut the slices in half. Stud the rind of each slice with 3 or 4 whole cloves.

In a large saucepan, bring the juice, oranges, and sugar to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour in the rum and transfer to a slow cooker.

To serve, ladle into mugs, topping each mug with a studded orange slice, if desired.

Beth Fish's Notes: if you use cranberry juice cocktail you may want to omit the sugar; if you use pure unsweetened cranberry juice you might want to double the sugar.

10 comments:

bermudaonion 12/26/09, 8:11 AM  

This sounds great, and I love that you can have it all ready ahead of time!

Sandy Nawrot 12/26/09, 8:48 AM  

For us thin-blooded Floridians, this Indiana weather has about frozen our tails off. This would be the perfect solution for warming up our tummies! Yum!

Sherrie 12/26/09, 9:47 AM  

Hi Beth,
This sounds really good now. It's really cold today! Have a great weekend!

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff

JoAnn 12/26/09, 9:48 AM  

Mmmm.... this sounds good!

Jill 12/26/09, 11:39 AM  

YUM! I'm going to the mountains for New Year's with my sister's family...and this recipe is coming with me!

Margot 12/26/09, 12:32 PM  

I've been reading a lot about the benefits of cranberry juice so now I'm a new convert. I'd like to try this recipe and serve it as a special treat. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for hosting this meme. I've enjoyed doing this every Saturday.

Cathy 12/26/09, 6:04 PM  

Sorry I was a no-show this weekend. Work tied me up in knots, and then I spent as much time as possible with Denis to unwind and enjoy the holiday. :)

I've found another book on my shelves: Fabulous Feasts... all about Medieval cookery for those special occasions. Something tells me we might be seeing things from it on future weekends!

caite 12/26/09, 9:29 PM  

I am a bit late to the party (work ya know) but pour me a toddy and I will share my Christmas cake. I even have quite a bit or rum left I will offer for use.

Julie P. 12/26/09, 10:37 PM  

I love anything cranberry, but I'm not a huge rum fan -- bad memories from college. I have to say that I've never tried a hot toddy!

Ali 12/27/09, 12:00 AM  

This looks really good (though I'd probably cut way back on the rum for mine).

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP