06 January 2010

Short Review: The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard

I read The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard early in 2008. Here is part of the publisher's summary (from Powell's website):

Small Plains, Kansas, January 23, 1987: In the midst of a deadly blizzard, eighteen-year-old Rex Shellenberger scours his father's pasture, looking for helpless newborn calves. Then he makes a shocking discovery: the naked, frozen body of a teenage girl. . . . It is a moment that will forever change his life and the lives of everyone around him. The mysterious dead girl — the "Virgin of Small Plains" — inspires local reverence. In the two decades following her death, strange miracles visit those who faithfully tend to her grave. . . .

But what really happened in that snow-covered field? Why did young Mitch Newquist disappear the day after the Virgin's body was found? . . .

Seventeen years later, when Mitch suddenly returns to Small Plains, simmering tensions come to a head, ghosts that had long slumbered whisper anew, and the secrets that some wish would stay buried rise again from the grave of the Virgin.
I listened to the audiobook read by Kymberly Dakin. I didn't record my thoughts about the narration, but I thought the mystery was well done. Although I figured out some parts fairly early on, there were still a couple of surprises for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and was drawn in by the characters and plot. I gave the novel a solid B.

The cover is from the 2007 Ballantine edition. (Source: Bought; see review policy.)



Reading at the Beach is the host for this meme: Each week she invites us to spotlight a book whose title begins with the featured letter. This week it's V.

17 comments:

Anonymous,  1/6/10, 7:59 AM  

This was on my list of best mysteries read in 2009. I thought it was very well done. My mystery book group read it last spring and everyone liked it. I haven't read Nancy Pickard's regular series, but think she did a good job with this stand alone book.

Julie P. 1/6/10, 8:20 AM  

I read this one years ago and thought it was very well done. I really enjoyed it. Passed it along to my mom who liked it too!

Serena 1/6/10, 8:57 AM  

A co-worker gave me this book to read, and yet it sits unread.

Margot 1/6/10, 9:43 AM  

The author's name rings a bell but I can't remember what I read of hers that I liked. Sure wished I'd kept notes as you did. I'll have to go through her whole list now to bring back the memory. I'd like to read this one.

bermudaonion 1/6/10, 9:57 AM  

Oh my, that does sound good. I'm wondering what Mitch had to do with the Virgin.

nomadreader 1/6/10, 11:11 AM  

I read this book when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I've meant to read more of her books, but I haven't. I'll have to check if she has more stand alone novels now. Thanks for this recollection!

Beth 1/6/10, 2:03 PM  

This sounds like a very interesting book. Here is my "V" book.

Nise' 1/6/10, 2:37 PM  

I don't mind figuring out some parts if there is still enough to keep my attention.

Amy 1/6/10, 3:31 PM  

i can't stand audio books, but at least the book was good...I love that cover. And what a name! I would die if my parents named me virgin lol:-D
hAPPY NEW YEAR!!
-AMY

Anonymous,  1/6/10, 4:10 PM  

I used this one today, too, but I haven't read it yet. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Anonymous,  1/6/10, 4:21 PM  

I read this one a couple of years ago, too...I enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever seen it on anyone's blog, though.

Anonymous,  1/6/10, 8:03 PM  

That sounds good, it's going on my WL!

Thanks for playing!

Kristen 1/6/10, 8:52 PM  

Sounds like an interesting premise.

me again 1/6/10, 9:07 PM  

Adding this to my TBR list!
Here's my V book, if you want to have a peek.
:-)
==lennie==

Irene 1/6/10, 10:30 PM  

I just requested this one from the library, thanks for your positive review.

Unknown 1/7/10, 12:46 AM  

The virgin of small plains had a great impact as a book on me...I loved it thoroughly and there are times till now when i remember some part/portions of this beautiful novel. I would strongly recommend it ....I bought it as a recommendation frm one of my friend and though i didn't read the review before placing my order at a1books.co.in, i loved my decision after going through blogs like yours :) :) :)

Michele 1/9/10, 5:35 PM  

I think I'd like to read the "book version" of this one....it sounds fascinating and since I first read your post yesterday, I haven't been able to get the synopsis out of my head. Guess it's time to go book shopping!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP