21 January 2010

Thursday Tea: Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

I'm about seven hours into the unabridged audio of Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. The story centers around Molly Gibson and her growth from naive teenager to mature young woman. In the 1830s, Hollingford's gossip mongers have plenty to occupy their minds when the widowed Dr. Gibson decides to remarry, and Molly gains not only a stepmother but a beautiful sister.

Wives and Daughters was Gaskell's last novel, and it was originally printed in serial form. Unfortunately, she died before the last chapter was completed. According to the book's introduction, she left enough notes on how she intended to conclude the novel that final episode could be published.

The Tea. I'm drinking Harney & Son's Lover's Leap Tea. Here's the description: "Lover's Leap is made at one of the prettiest gardens in the world. High in central Sri Lanka, is the old tea town of Nuwara Eliya. Here the teas are light, with hints of lemon in the cup." I may have let the leaves steep too long, but I found this black tea to be unpleasantly bitter, so I'm glad I got just a small sample of it.

The Assessment. The ladies of Hollingford are absolutely drinking tea, but I don't think they'd approve of anything called Lover's Leap. They have different teas for every day and for company, but I'm sure those teas all have sensible names.

What are you reading or listening to this week? Anything interesting in your mug or glass?

Wives and Daughters at Powell's
Wives and Daughters at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.


Thursday Tea is hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Here's how it works: Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

Source: Borrowed (see review policy).
FTC: I buy all teas myself, I am not a tea reviewer.

15 comments:

samovar 1/21/10, 7:55 AM  

lovely blog! i like tea and books, so it is always interesting to see what other people read!
andrea from americanlibraryinparis.org

Julie P. 1/21/10, 8:35 AM  

I bet it's one of those teas that "need" a sweetener. I usually don't like those kinds either because I like to drink my tea straight up!

Sandy Nawrot 1/21/10, 8:44 AM  

Everytime I go to the grocery store now I buy a new herbal tea, trying to find something that I don't tire of after two cups. The latest is a mint and chamomile combo, that is really pretty nice. I can't wait to go back to my Novel Teas in February!

Beth 1/21/10, 9:38 AM  

After you finish, you should watch the BBC's Wives and Daughters. Although not as good as the recent Cranford adaption, it's worth a watch!

Molly 1/21/10, 10:33 AM  

I am hoping to read at least one Gaskell novel this year. I know I will like her writing style, I just haven't made the time to experience it for myself.

I have a question/suggestion.....I love your descriptions of the tea you drink, and I am fascinated by the different varieties you mention each week. But when I go to visit the website, I am totally overwhelmed by the selections. Could you possibly write a post someday that is an introduction to tea --- tea 101 if you will. I would be forever grateful :)

A Buckeye Girl Reads 1/21/10, 12:01 PM  

That sounds like a great tea. Gaskell is one of those authors who I always mean to read, but never seem to get around to reading.

Michelle 1/21/10, 12:49 PM  

What an interesting book to read. And the tea sounds delicious!

bermudaonion 1/21/10, 2:02 PM  

Too bad the tea's bitter - it's got a great name!

Stacy 1/21/10, 4:29 PM  

Nothing interesting in my cup:) I have Wives and Daughters on my tbr/challenge list. I have heard good things about it and look forward to seeing what you think about it especially the last part taken from her notes.

Belle 1/21/10, 5:41 PM  

Lover's Leap is such a great name for a tea! I like black teas that have a hint of fruit, but not bitter, though. Black teas can get quite strong.

Carrie K. 1/21/10, 5:56 PM  

I'm reading this right now via DailyLit e-mail. It's long, but good. I don't know how far you are, but I think Molly's step-mother is a despicable woman!

Veens 1/21/10, 8:20 PM  

...I'm sure those teas all have sensible names...
I am sure of that!
I have not yet read a Gaskell novel, I know I need to soon!
Though I won't try this tea, if ti is bitter!

Margot 1/22/10, 1:57 AM  

I read my first Elizabeth Gaskell a few months ago (Cranford) and really loved her writing. In that story she also had a village full of gossipy women. Made for a humorous read. Hope you are enjoying it.

Ana S. 1/24/10, 6:46 AM  

That tea sounds absolutely wonderful! And I so need to read more Gaskell.

wisteria 1/24/10, 10:06 AM  

We have a place where I live called, Lover's Leap Bridge. They have renovated the 19th cenury bridge and created a beautiful park. I love trying new teas. What a fun part of your blog. Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP