19 February 2010

Featuring . . . The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming

This Friday and every Friday for the next couple of months, I will be featuring a book that was published under the Amy Einhorn Books imprint. I am starting with the 2009 books and will spotlight them in alphabetical order.

The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming is a little bit of everything: historical fiction, alternate history, time travel, and love story. Here's the publisher's summary:

After discovering an old photograph, an elderly antiques dealer living in present-day Los Angeles is forced to revisit the history he has struggled to deny. The photograph depicts a man and a woman. The man is Peter Force, a young frontier adventurer who comes to New York City in 1901 and quickly lands a job digging the first subway tunnels beneath the metropolis. The woman is Cheri-Anne Toledo, a beautiful mathematical prodigy whose memories appear to come from another world. They meet seemingly by chance, and initially Peter dismisses her as crazy. But as they are drawn into a tangle of overlapping intrigues, Peter must reexamine Cheri-Anne's fantastic story. Could it be that she is telling the truth and that she has stumbled onto the most dangerous secret imaginable: the key to traveling through time?

Set against the mazelike streets of New York at the dawn of the mechanical age, Peter and Cheri-Anne find themselves wrestling with the nature of history, technology, and the unfolding of time itself.

I read and reviewed Kingdom of Ohio last month and can definitely recommend it. You can also find a review at S. Krishna's books.

What I didn't talk about in my review is that I grew up in a small town outside of Toledo, Ohio. Part of the novel is set close to my home turf. I loved the descriptions of Toledo, the Maumee River, the shores of Lake Erie, and the area around Cheri-Anne's family estate--all places that I am very familiar with. I know that made the book extra fun for me. But you don't have to be from Ohio to find something to connect to in this debut novel.

Matthew Flaming was a website, where you can find a short bio and a few other bits of information. But if you go to the book's website, you'll find some great photographs of the turn-of the-century New York and an excerpt from the novel.

This book was featured as part of the Amy Einhorn Books Reading Challenge (click to join the fun). For information about the imprint, please read Amy Einhorn's open letter posted here on January 25, 2010.

The Kingdom of Ohio at Powell's
The Kingdom of Ohio at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.

Published by Putnam/Amy Einhorn, 2009
ISBN-13: 9780399155604

11 comments:

Julie 3/18/10, 7:51 AM  

Dying to read this book after a few reviews! I was actually born in OH but moved when I was 5 so I don't remember much!

Vivienne 3/18/10, 7:52 AM  

I want to read this one too. It looks so good.

Margo 3/18/10, 7:53 AM  

I enjoy reading a book when it describes an area I'm familiar with too. I'm looking forward to this one.

Sandy,  3/18/10, 8:02 AM  

I remember your review...it was compelling. I love these spotlights you are doing on the Amy Einhorn Challenge books. And, I like your new commenting thingy here. Is it hard to install? I would love to be able to reply to individual comments...

Dawn 3/18/10, 8:02 AM  

I'm not a fan of sci-fi or fiction, but I don't mind time travel. Apparently, 'contradiction' is my middle name.

I have THE KINGDOM OF OHIO on my list for the Amy Einhorn challenge.

Robin of M.T.B. 3/18/10, 8:03 AM  

The book actually sounds quite intriguing. Will have to put it on my list.

Aths 3/18/10, 8:04 AM  

Wow this book sounds really good! I enjoy fantasy and time-travel, so this looks like something I will enjoy!

Bermudaonion 3/18/10, 8:04 AM  

I can't wait to read this book!

Cori 3/18/10, 8:05 AM  

I've had this one my TBR for a while, but I feel the need to note just how pretty that cover is!

Stacy 3/18/10, 8:05 AM  

The title alone put this one on my list. I'm glad you liked it so much.

S. Krishna 3/18/10, 8:06 AM  

You know I loved this book. Love, love, love.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP