22 February 2010

Review: Rose by Jeff Smith

Mini-Review

If you've been a reader of this blog for a while, then you might remember when I reviewed Jeff Smith's Bone series in 2009 (review index). Smith's novel Rose takes place before the Bone series and tells the story of the red dragon, Princesses Rose and Briar, the dragon queen, and Lucius.

I am a bit hesitant to discuss the plot in any detail because I do not want to introduce spoilers to the Bone books. Although Rose is described as a prequel, I think it is better read after finishing the nine novels involving the Bone cousins.

Rose focuses on the background story of the Bone novels, when the two princesses of the Northern Valley were young and before the Lord of the Locusts had been awakened. The sisters have very different personalities and talents, and when they were young, they were jealous of each other and competitive. Almost before the girls can finish their schooling, they are called upon to help their people, but each has her own idea of how she wants the world to be. The ultimate consequences of their actions are resolved only decades later, at the end of the Bone series.

If you have read the Bone books, you will comfortably slip into the world of Rose. Smith once again manages to pepper his epic fantasy with a great mix of humor and suspense. Like the other novels in the series, this one can be read at face value or can be mined for deeper, universal issues. This is a must-read for all Jeff Smith fans.

The book ends many years before Fone Bone shows up in the valley, leaving open the possibility that Smith will tell us more about the history of the world he created.

Jeff Smith has a blog, where you can see illustrations and read about the history of his Bone books.

Rose at Powell's
Rose at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.


Published by Scholastic / Graphix, 2009
ISBN-13: 9780545135436
Challenges: Young Adult, What's in a Name, Graphic Novel, Buy and Read, 2010, 100+
YTD: 14
Source: Bought (see review policy)
Rating: B

7 comments:

Sandy,  3/16/10, 10:59 AM  

I remember when you reviewed them all. I swore I was going to read them all too, but you know how that goes. I know in the kids' library, these books are insanely popular. They fall apart quicker than I can repair them.

Julie 3/16/10, 10:59 AM  

These are always on my list but I never seem to get around to reading them -- kind of like Sandy.

Sheila (bookjourney) 3/16/10, 11:00 AM  

I have not read any of these but they do look interesting.

Bermudaonion 3/16/10, 11:01 AM  

I enjoyed the Bone books (you got me hooked on them) so you know I want to read this!

Alea,  3/16/10, 11:01 AM  

I'm glad you mentioned your preferred reading order for this book. I have this one but only this one and haven't read the others!

Dawn 3/16/10, 11:02 AM  

Was it pub'd before the other BONE books? It's true, sometimes a 'prequel' is better read *after* (it makes more sense, adding to what you learned in the 'main' book)

DanaB 3/16/10, 11:03 AM  

Great posts you've got going on lately! I've got this Bone series and the John Marsden series on my library list today :)

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP