18 February 2010

Review / Thursday Tea: Where Is Catkin? by Janet Lord, illustrated by Julie Paschkis

Amy and Catkin are sitting on the garden wall one summer's day when Catkin decides it's time to hunt. He jumps out of Amy's arms and looks for and listens to all the animals.

Poor Catkin is not a very good hunter, and just when he pounces, the animal runs into hiding. Where did the animal go? Finally, Catkin hears a bird--Chereep. Chereeep--and climbs a tree.

Poor Catkin can't get down. Amy hears, Meeeow! Where is Catkin? She searches high and low and finally finds her cat. Amy climbs the tree and rescues Catkin, who takes a nap while she hugs him: Purrrrrrrrrr.

Both you and your little one will have fun looking for all the animals and bugs and birds hidden in Julie Paschkis's fabulous folk art drawings. The text of Where Is Catkin? is written by her sister, Janet Lord. Here is a spread from just before Catkin takes to the tree:


Click on the image to enlarge it. Can you find all the animals?

For more on Julie Paschkis, see the interview by Seven Impossible Things. For more on Janet Lord, see my review of Albert the Fix-It Man and my interview with her.

The Tea. I'm drinking Adagio's Gingerbread Tea. It's a nice-quality black tea with a very nice aroma, but I don't taste much ginger or spices. This is a seasonal tea that I probably won't be buying next year.

The Assessment. What little girl or boy wouldn't want to drink a tea called gingerbread? Make a medium-strong brew, add milk and honey, bring out some gingerbread men, and enjoy Where Is Catkin? with the child in your life. Sounds like a lovely afternoon to me.

What are you reading or listening to this week? What do you serve when settling in to read to a youngster?

Where Is Catkin? at Powell's
Where Is Catkin? at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.


Thursday Tea is hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Here's how it works: Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

Published by Peachtree Publishers, 2010
ISBN-13: 9781561455232
Challenges: 100+
Ages: 2-6
Source: Review copy (
see review policy).
Rating: B+
FTC: I buy all teas myself, I am not a tea reviewer.

9 comments:

Robin M 2/18/10, 11:37 AM  

I love these type of books though my son has outgrown them. You just reminded me there were a couple books I wanted to order from Peachtree. I'm failing dismally at blob - lots of points being wracked up. I stopped keeping track.

I'm not a big spice tea drinker my self. I preferred black tea with vanilla or green tea. Simple stuff.

The Bumbles 2/18/10, 11:56 AM  

These illustrations are so different from Albert! Very sweet. A lot sweeter actually than walking outside to find your cats playing with a mouse they've killed. Blech. I wish our kitties were unsuccessful hunters like Catkin.

Sandy Nawrot 2/18/10, 12:02 PM  

Yes, like the Bumbles, my little outside Catkin leaves us various squirrel, rat and bird organs on our back doorstep. He is a cat that appreciates us and gives back when he can. I love the illustrations, and think back to when my kids would have loved this book.

Julie P. 2/18/10, 2:09 PM  

Sounds like a book that Booking Son would enjoy!

bermudaonion 2/18/10, 2:23 PM  

The drawings in that book are fabulous!

Wendy 2/18/10, 6:20 PM  

I just bought a fabric panel with these illustrations!!!! I can't wait to create a lap quilt with it :)

Whitney 2/18/10, 8:35 PM  

This book looks so cute, and I love the illustrations!

That's a bummer about the tea though, gingerbread sounded like it would have been a good accompaniment.

Veens 2/19/10, 1:23 AM  

oh so CUTE, is what I can say~!! LOVE!
and that tea sounds delicious.. i love ginger tea :)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 2/19/10, 3:54 PM  

Oh, beautiful illustrations; they remind me of woodcuts.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP