11 February 2010

Thursday Tea: American Rust by Philipp Meyer

I'm reading American Rust by Philipp Meyer, a novel of two young men who want something more than their dying eastern Pennsylvania town can give them but who don't quite have the means or wherewithal to move along. How can they leave when Isaac is responsible for his aging father; Poe, for his depressed mother? Stay or go, neither can envision his future.

Here's a snippet from p. 6:

From a distance, from the size of them, they might have been father and son. Poe with his big jaw and his small eyes and even now, two years out of school, a nylon football jacket, his name and player number on the front and BUELL EAGLES on the back. Isaac short and skinny, his eyes too large for his face, his clothes too large for him as well, his old backpack stuffed with his sleeping bag, a change of clothes, his notebooks. They went down the narrow dirt road toward the river, mostly it was woods and meadows, green and beautiful in the first weeks of spring.
Look for a guest post from Philipp Meyer on Beth Fish Reads tomorrow.

The Tea. I'm drinking Adagio's Cranberry Tea. This is a very subtle fruity black tea that tastes pretty good on a snowy winter afternoon. The cranberry flavor is not overwhelming, but the aroma is enticing. Here's the description: "Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with sweet, tangy cranberries. This delicious autumn delight is a great complement to your next turkey feast, which your guests are sure to gobble down."

The Assessment. Isaac and Poe may drink tea, but neither of them has the money or desire to buy fancy teas off the Internet. If they drink tea at all they are way more likely to buy a grocery store brand of nondescript black tea. If Isaac ever makes it to California, enrolls in college, and changes his life, he may find himself sipping cranberry tea at some student-faculty function.

If the snow doesn't go away soon, I think I'm going to be pouring something a whole lot stronger in my mug! What about you? Oh, and don't forget to tell me what you're reading or listening to this week.


American Rust at Powell's
American Rust at Amazon
These 3 links lead to affiliate programs.


Thursday Tea is hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Here's how it works: Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

Source: Review copy (see review policy).
FTC: I buy all teas myself, I am not a tea reviewer.

20 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea 2/11/10, 8:01 AM  

I liked American Rust when I read it a few weeks ago.

As far as snow, it missed us again. They canceled school here yesterday prematurely, as we only ended up with an inch of snow. Here we are 50" below the for this point in winter. I feel bad for all of you who have been hit so hard.

Nise' 2/11/10, 8:40 AM  

We were happy to only receive 8 inches.

I have picked up and put down American Rust. One of these times I'll read it.

Finishing Kindred In Death by JD Robb, listening to Under the Jolly Roger by LA Meyer.

Dorte H 2/11/10, 9:27 AM  

A great teaser!

Can´t tell you about my book as I am still reading for my Bait-in-the-Box review, but chocolate truffle would go really well with this one.

Marie Cloutier 2/11/10, 9:30 AM  

The tea sounds great- I love fruity black teas :-)

caite 2/11/10, 9:33 AM  

we have so much snow I gave up counting...2 feet+ another foot...3 feet..something l1ke that. I will just be happy to finally be off from work tomorrow since last friday and finally be able to dig my own house out properly. Hot beverages will be involved, no doubt my fav Earl Gray.

I read American Rust some time ago and was sort of on the fense about it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

Julie P. 2/11/10, 10:10 AM  

I have some cranberry tea that my mom picked up for me. While I love anything cranberry, it isn't one of my favorite teas. I tried it iced too to see if the flavor worked better for me.

DanaB 2/11/10, 11:05 AM  

American Rust sounds like a good read, just from your post! It now graces my list, thanks :)

Right now I'm reading 'Dancing With Einstein' by Kate Wenner--so far it's been keeping me turning the pages. Lovin' blog surfing today, I've discovered so many new-to-me blogs lately!

I am in some way deep denial about the snow, even though we only have 5 or 6 inches total at the moment, here in our spot of Central Indiana.

HowEVER, today I have that most glorious life-affirming thing called SUNSHINE!! \o/

~~

Darlene 2/11/10, 11:10 AM  

I've heard a lot of good things about this book. I'm reading The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker right now.

I think cranberry tea is one of my favorites. Yum! Sorry about all the snow you're getting. For once Canada is having nice weather.

Meghan 2/11/10, 11:14 AM  

Ooh, I loved American Rust when I read it last year! I thought it was a really thoughtful and moving book. Looking forward to the guest post!

Your cranberry tea sounds really lovely, too.

Unknown 2/11/10, 11:45 AM  

I'm looking forward to finding out your thoughts on American Rust. I hope to read it soon and have heard so many wonderful things about it.

JoAnn 2/11/10, 12:25 PM  

Both the book and the tea sound good! My tea is Raspberry Earl from Zhena's Gypsy Tea, and I plan on finishing Marcelo in the Real World this afternoon. I'm listening to Sarah's Key in the car this week.

Whitney 2/11/10, 12:34 PM  

Snow is pretty, but I'm so ready for winter to be over.

American Rust looks like a good read and the passage is so beautifully written. Your cranberry tea sounds tasty and perfect for this time of year, you're so much more adventurous than me.

I'm currently reading No Angel by Penny Vincenzi and drinking an Irish Breakfast Tea.

Sandy Nawrot 2/11/10, 12:36 PM  

Oooh, Cranberry tea! That sounds wonderful! I'm laughing at your need for stronger brew. I think half the nation feels your pain. I'm reading a light romance thing right now and I can't get through it. The author is an old friend of my mom's so I kinda have to read it, but ugh! I just don't like romances. I'm also listening to Shutter Island on audio and I LOVE IT. Gotta finish so I can go see the movie...

bermudaonion 2/11/10, 12:57 PM  

You made me laugh when you said you're going to need something stronger in your mug! Sorry you've had to deal with all that snow.

Molly 2/11/10, 1:15 PM  

I am so excited! A fellow teacher, and one whom I gave some Stash Tea as a Christmas gift, has found a local tea shop! We are going to plan a date to go have a tasting and peruse the wonderful selection.

I am finding it hard to find a good fiction book to read amid all my school requirements. I think I am going to try Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy

Sure hope you guys get a break in the weather soon!

The Bumbles 2/11/10, 1:44 PM  

I'm not a tea drinker in any form - although if you poured something stronger into it, I might change my mind!

Lisa 2/11/10, 10:43 PM  

Cranberry tea sounds marvelous. I'll have to get over to the tea shop and see if they have it. If not, I'm sure I can find something delicious!

Alice 2/12/10, 4:51 AM  

I'm so excited about this book, Beth! I'm waiting for it to arrive in the post because I'd won it from Wendy's (Literary Feline) book giveaway. Happy, happy me! LOL

J.T. Oldfield 2/18/10, 10:02 PM  

I can see Poe drinking some green tea, but I doubt they have any in Buell.

S. Krishna 2/24/10, 4:50 PM  

LOL - where's the Thursday Tea where you're putting something stronger in your tea? I want to read THAT post :-)

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP