04 February 2010

Thursday Tea: The Fellowship of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

This month I'm continuing with the Lord of the Rings Readalong. February is The Fellowship of the Rings (by J. R. R. Tolkien, of course). Clare from The Literary Omnivore is our host this time around.

I'm listening to the unabridged audio for the second time. It's been about five years since I first treated myself to this edition of Lord of the Rings. The audio is read by the fabulous Rob Inglis, who even sings the songs. I am in the third hour (out of about nineteen), and Frodo is just learning the true meaning of the ring that Bilbo found so long ago in the Misty Mountains. The cover shown here is of the paperback edition I bought in the 1960s.

The Tea. I'm drinking Adagio's Apple Tea. Here's the description: "the flavor and aroma of fresh picked apples [mixed] with the lively, deep taste of premium Ceylon black tea." This is a pleasant afternoon tea, but I'm not sure that apple flavor comes through very well.

The Assessment. As you know (because I told you a few weeks ago) Hobbits do love their tea, especially when served with sweet treats once or twice a day. Frodo is rich and is still living safely in The Shire, so maybe he can get a nice apple tea. If so, I bet he enjoys it, even if he has to keep it out of the hands of those dreadful Sackville-Bagginses.

If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, what is keeping you warm this winter? For the rest of you, are you drinking iced tea?

For those of you who asked, watch for a "where do I find my teas" post later this month.



Thursday Tea is hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Here's how it works: Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

Source: Have owned for years (see review policy).
FTC: I buy all teas myself, I am not a tea reviewer.

10 comments:

Julie P. 2/4/10, 7:59 AM  

Never thought apple tea had that much flavor either! Maybe it would be better iced. I'm still drinking Hot Cinnamon -- the only tea for me now!

Michelle 2/4/10, 8:09 AM  

An apple tea sounds like a perfect accompaniment for FotR! Now, if only you were smoking some pipeweed along with it, you'd be a hobbit!

Sandy Nawrot 2/4/10, 8:22 AM  

Mmmmm...apple. I am so happy to be back to normal tea instead of herbal. Had some Earl Grey last night. I need to check and see if my library has these books on audio. That is what I want to start next with my kids when we finish HP.

Anonymous,  2/4/10, 11:35 AM  

I just had hot apple cider tea yesterday, but today it's mocha coffee :)

Dorte H 2/4/10, 12:03 PM  

I don´t drink much tea, and not more or less coffee than usual during our everlasting snowstorm, but we use quite a lot of firewood. So I am getting used to manoeuvring the wheel barrow :D

I should read about summer or spring, I suppose, but by coincidence I have read quite a lot about snow and winter recently.

Margot 2/4/10, 12:53 PM  

This post was fun to read. Your love of this book is obvious in every sentence. I liked where you contemplated Frodo's opinion of your tea.

bermudaonion 2/4/10, 1:37 PM  

I haven't discovered anything to keep me warm! I'm ready for the winter to be over.

Sharla 2/5/10, 6:25 PM  

Mmmm. Apple tea sounds good. I will be watching for your post about where you get your teas from.

To keep warm, I am drinking lots of hot chocolate and green tea.

Anonymous,  2/5/10, 11:00 PM  

The cover in your post is the exact cover of the series I read when I was in seventh grade (was it 1973?). It makes me so nostalgic for those old paperback copies, which first introduced me to Rivendell and all the characters. I love this series, it can never get old, and I hope I can at least join in for The Return of The King part of the read along.

S. Krishna 2/8/10, 2:16 PM  

I have an apple tea that I'm really fond of, and the flavor comes through wonderfully! Strangely enough, it's a Crate & Barrel exclusive, I think by Republic of Tea.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP