09 March 2010

Don't-Miss Books to Read in March

We are finally seeing sunny skies here in central Pennsylvania, and with the coming of daylight savings time, can long evenings reading on the deck be far away? There are so many great new (and couple of older) books this month, I had a hard time stopping at ten!

Degrees of Truth



The subtitle of Marjorie Price's A Gift from Brittany, is A Memoir of Love and Loss in the French Countryside. From Chicago to Paris to a country hamlet and from single to married to single parent, Price shares her journey to finding peace through her painting and friendships nourished and discovered in a tiny country village. Irene Latham was inspired to write Leaving Gee's Bend after attending a quilt exhibit in her home state of Alabama. Ludelphia's life revolves around doing chores and making quilts. But when her mother falls ill in 1932, the little girl must be strong and brave enough to walk forty miles for the nearest help.

Family Dynamics around the World




The Solitude of Prime Numbers, by Paolo Giordano, first published in Italy, is the story of the chance reunion of two high school friends, Alice and Mattia, who were each scarred by a different life-changing family event that happened in childhood. Laila Lalami's Secret Son is played out against the politics and religious unrest of Casablanca and explores the reunion of a poor young man with his long-lost wealthy father. Once Justin Fisher has a wife, a son, and a great job, he decides it's time to reconnect with his parents. The results of that planned reunion in California is explored in The Language of Secrets, by Dianne Dixon.

Triple Thrills



Kate White's Hush is a modern thriller involving an ordinary marketing consultant, her estranged husband, and a one-night stand. Angelology, by Sanielle Trussoni, on the other hand, is a fantasy thriller involving a nun, the Catholic church, and some secret letters. Natasha Mostert's Keeper of Light and Dust is psychological thriller involving magic, science, marshal arts, and vampires.

For the Young at Heart



The subtitle of A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole is A Story about Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home. This middle reader chapter book is amply illustrated with pencil drawings in the style of the cover art. I haven't read it yet, but the artwork won me over. I hosted an interview with Carrie Vaughn last month, and I can't wait to read her Voices of Dragons, in which a seventeen-year-old is caught between modern times and the world of medieval legends.

I am known for my eclectic reading tastes, and I think I've proven that here. March is my busiest work month but I hope to read several of these in the next few weeks. What are you looking forward to reading in March?

17 comments:

Beth Kephart 3/9/10, 7:40 AM  

Gorgeous titles (and presentation, here).

And yay for those sunny skies, at last. We have another golden day here, near Philly.

Good luck getting through your busiest month.

JoAnn 3/9/10, 7:51 AM  

Love this post! I've been on a France kick lately, so will have to add A Gift from Brittany to my wish list.

Julie P. 3/9/10, 8:27 AM  

Can I just tell you how much I love this feature? I have a few of the books and I've read HUSH already. I wish I were as organized as you to be able to contribute.

Jill 3/9/10, 8:49 AM  

Great list! I'm looking forward to The Language of Secrets, too. I'm also excited about: So Much for That, Something Red, and The Season of Second Chances.

Alice 3/9/10, 9:26 AM  

I'm so, so tempted to get all these books! I saw Angelology in the Kindle Store and I so wanted to click check out... Thanks for all the recommendation, Beth!

Beth Hoffman 3/9/10, 10:35 AM  

I really enjoy reading your recommendations. Every time I visit your blog I end up adding more and more books to my TBR list!

Happy spring!

Unknown 3/9/10, 10:56 AM  

I'm planning to read The Solitude of Prime Numbers in the next week or so. I love the peas on your cover! Mine is so dull in comparison. I will be interested to see which is a better reflection of the content.

Anonymous,  3/9/10, 11:15 AM  

I am dying to read ANGELOGY and have heard soooo much about it - I deemed I needed a break from the whole religion-based thriller genre after my disappointment in THE LOST SYMBOL, but I may have to break that streak for this title. I too have LANGUAGE OF SECRETS on my desk thanks to Shelf Awareness - may have to read that in the sun a few states away from you!

Don't forget about THE SURRENDERED - new from Chang-rae Lee. Even Michiko Kakutani at the New York Times raved about it.

bermudaonion 3/9/10, 11:37 AM  

Nice variety of books! I've got so many I'm looking forward to including The Opposite of Me. Doors Open and The Postmistress.

Marg 3/9/10, 3:21 PM  

Angelology is the one that I am most excited about!

Anonymous,  3/9/10, 8:18 PM  

I need to stay away from A Gift from Brittany...I'm sure it'll just make me dream unrealistic dreams of moving to France.

Kristi 3/9/10, 10:16 PM  

I love this post! Both A Gift from Brittany and Angelology sound wonderful.

Amused 3/9/10, 11:07 PM  

What a great feature! I know have so many new titles I want to read!

Michelle 3/10/10, 7:34 AM  

I keep seeing Voices of Dragons about the blogosphere but for some reason I'm not quite latching on to it. Perhaps it's a reflection of my poor experience with Merlin's Harp. I hope you enjoy it!

Margot 3/10/10, 11:53 AM  

Nice variety of books coming up. I'm in the mood for a good thriller so Hush caught my eye. I'm also feeling the need for a "comfort read." I recent got The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer and I'm going to see if that fits the comfort category.

Athira 3/11/10, 11:04 AM  

Wow! Thanks for this! All those books sound so good!

Tribute Books 3/23/10, 1:08 PM  

thanks! for list looks great.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP