05 March 2010

Featuring . . . The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama

This Friday and every Friday for the next couple of months, I will be featuring a book that was published under the Amy Einhorn Books imprint. I am starting with the 2009 books and will spotlight them in alphabetical order.

The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama has been likened to both Alexander McCall and Jane Austen. That's some combination, considering that this is an Indian novel.

Here's the publisher's summary:

What does an Indian man with a wealth of common sense do when his retirement becomes too monotonous for him to stand? Open a marriage bureau of course

With a steady stream of clients to keep him busy, Mr. Ali sees his new business flourish as the indomitable Mrs. Ali and his careful assistant,Aruna , look on with vigilant eyes. There's the man who wants a tall son-in-law because his daughter is short; the divorced woman who ends up back with her ex-husband; a salesman who can't seem to sell himself; and a wealthy, young doctor for whom no match is ever perfect. But although his clients go away happy, little does Mr. Ali know that his esteemedAruna hides a tragedy in her past--a misfortune that the bureau, as luck would have it, serendipitously undoes.
Doesn't this sound like a charming book? I love novels that are filled with unique characters, and a marriage bureau is the prefect setting for attracting a good group.

I knew I wanted to read this book after I saw the reviews by fellow Amy Einhorn Books Challenge participants Swapna from S. Krishn's Books and Jen from Devourer of Books. I love character-driven novels that take me to other places or other times, and The Marriage Bureau for Rich People is just such a book.

For the multimedia junkies among us, Zama's novel is available as an eBook and as an unabridged audiobook.

Farahad Zama has a website where you can read the first chapter, learn more about him, and find a reading guide for book clubs. You will also see that Zama is working on a sequel.

This book was featured as part of the Amy Einhorn Books Reading Challenge (click to join the fun). For information about the imprint, please read Amy Einhorn's open letter posted here on January 25, 2010.


Published by Putnam/Amy Einhorn, 2009
ISBN-13: 9780399155581

18 comments:

Jen - devourer of books 3/8/10, 11:22 AM  

This was a fun book, I definitely enjoyed it.

Meghan 3/8/10, 12:45 PM  

I'm planning on reading this as soon as the last person who took it returns it to the library! I'm sort of informally participating in the challenge, if only because I am too lazy to write up a challenge post. It does sound very good, though.

Julie 3/8/10, 12:46 PM  

I have this one out in my Amy Einhorn Challenge pile! Looks like a fun book!

Vivienne 3/8/10, 12:46 PM  

I read this one last year and really enjoyed it. It had the simplicity of the Alexander McCall Smith books, especially The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency ones.

bermudaonion 3/8/10, 12:47 PM  

I've been wanting to read this one for a while, too. Every Amy Einhorn book you've featured looks great!

Kay 3/8/10, 12:48 PM  

I want to read this and thank you for reminding me about it. Since I just read The Case of the Missing Servant, a mystery set in India, this one would follow along nicely. Thanks, Beth!

Kristen 3/8/10, 12:51 PM  

This is a charming book. I reviewed it last year (http://booknaround.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-ma... keep checking to see if there's another one in the works as it seems perfect for a series.

wordlily 3/8/10, 12:53 PM  

I've wanted to read this one since it first came out. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

Carrie K. 3/8/10, 12:53 PM  

I really want to read this- as well as the other Einhorn books.

Lenore 3/8/10, 12:54 PM  

I am considering this one. I kind of had an indian fiction overdose a couple of years ago, so I've been reluctant about picking them up.

bookmagic 3/8/10, 12:55 PM  

This looks great. I had Kingdom of Ohio on hold at library then forgot to pick it up. Now I have to wait again. Not sure if my library has this one, but I hope so

softdrink 3/8/10, 12:55 PM  

You're such a book pusher...and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Amused 3/8/10, 12:56 PM  

I've had this book on my wishlist for quite sometime and had no idea it was published by this house. Good to know!

Anonymous,  3/8/10, 1:00 PM  

Cori said:

This sounds like one I'd like and one my mother (who lived in India) would LOVE. Thanks for the rec!

Kim 3/8/10, 1:02 PM  

I received a copy of this one before I had even heard of Amy Einhorn and I can't wait to read it. It does sound so very charming!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 3/8/10, 8:17 PM  

I agree with softdrink:

Beth Fish, Book Pusher ...

This is on my list to read for the Amy Einhorn challenge. Heck, I'll read it because it sounds like something I'll love, it just happens to fit the challenge :)

Tribute Books 3/23/10, 1:12 PM  

thanks! will read.added it to my list.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP