23 March 2010

Review: The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham

Susan Higginbotham's Stolen Crown follows the events of the British crown from 1464 to 1496. When King Edward IV married Elizabeth Woodville, a woman of no great rank or political power, he did not think through the far-reaching effects that his decision would have. The strife between the houses of Lancaster and York in the late fifteenth century tore apart families and friends, from the lesser Woodvilles to the powerful Nevilles, Tudors, and Staffords.

We hear the story, in alternate sections, as told by the queen's youngest sister, Katherine Woodville, and by Henry Stafford, whom Katherine married when she was about seven years old. The choice of these points of view was excellent. Kate and Harry's youth and closeness to the king and queen allowed them to be privy to information hidden from others at court. Furthermore, they would have been eyewitnesses to many of the royal family's personal moments.

The Stolen Crown is what historical fiction is supposed to be: a great novel that accurately recounts a bit of history with characters that come to life as you read. Whether she is describing the Greenwich court, Harry's first battles, or Kate's mixed feelings at the death of Edward IV, Higginbotham pulls the us in, keeping us fully invested even when we already know what the factual end must be.

Be sure to see the fabulous guest post that Susan Higginbotham wrote for Beth Fish Reads (posted yesterday), in which she talks about her reactions to traveling.

The Stolen Crown at Powell's
These links lead to affiliate programs

Published by Sourcebooks, 2010
ISBN-13: 9781402237669

Challenges: New Author, Historical Fiction, Tournament, 2010, 100+
YTD: 27
Source: Review (see review policy)
Rating: B+

11 comments:

Julie P. 3/23/10, 9:27 AM  

This does sound interesting. I'm in the mood for a good historical fiction book!

Susan Higginbotham 3/23/10, 9:48 AM  

Thanks for the review, Beth!

Sandy Nawrot 3/23/10, 9:50 AM  

This is not my normal genre, but I think if I ever decided to explore it, I would start with Higginbotham. She seems to be the one everyone associates with a great historical fiction read. Plus I see her everywhere in the comments, which I think is very cool and down-to-earth!

Tribute Books 3/23/10, 12:41 PM  

Like historical fiction,thanks again for the review.

Marg 3/23/10, 3:49 PM  

I am reading this at the moment. It's early days yet, but I am enjoying it so far.

bermudaonion 3/23/10, 4:03 PM  

I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but she is definitely an author I want to try. Great review!

Unknown 3/23/10, 5:13 PM  

Can't wait to get a copy of this one, I need more for the historical challenge I'm doing and had no idea what to read..now I do!

Darlene 3/23/10, 5:37 PM  

I enjoyed this one of hers. She is an excellent historical fiction writer.

Alice 3/24/10, 2:22 AM  

I don't read much of historical fiction but I did enjoy the guest post in the earlier entry. :D

S. Krishna 3/24/10, 4:56 PM  

I loved this one too, as you know. Great review.

Margot 3/25/10, 7:50 PM  

I agree with you on a good historical fiction. I'd like to read this one.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP