29 April 2010

Thursday Tea: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

This week I am delighted to be listening to Beth Hoffman's Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (read by Jenna Lamia). I have had a print copy of the book for a couple of months now, but I just couldn't find a spot in my reading schedule. When my library offered the audio as a digital download, I jumped on it!

I am totally enchanted by the story of the young CeeCee Honeycutt who learned to cope with a difficult mother and an absent father. Although she's a tough kid and a true survivor, the twelve-year-old is not sure about leaving Ohio to live with her great-aunt Tootie in Georgia. CeeCee has no idea that she's about to be saved.

The Tea. This week I tried Harney & Son's Indian Spice tea. The evenings are still quite chilly here, and hot spicy tea is a great treat. The company describes the tea like this: "Assam tea, freshly ground cardamom, and spices combined together create this hauntingly subtle spice tea blend.'' Sadly, the spiciness is a bit too subtle for me. The tea has a lovely aroma and a nice flavor, but I like my chai to have more of zing.

The Assessment. It's 1967, and CeeCee is living in Savannah. I'd make a guess that neither Aunt Tootie nor Oletta (the housekeeper) has even heard of chai. They do drink tea: hot and cold and sweetened nicely. CeeCee would definitely give spiced tea a try, but the older women would likely opt for a more traditional brew.

What about you? What are reading or listening to this week? And what's in that cup or glass as this transitional season winds it way down to summer or winter?

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt at Powell's
For Audible and Simply Audiobooks see sidebar
These links lead to affiliate programs.


Thursday Tea is hosted by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog. Here's how it works: Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

FTC: I buy all teas myself, I am not a tea reviewer.

14 comments:

Nise' 4/29/10, 9:01 AM  

This one is sitting somewhere on a stack. I just may have to listen to it. Because I could never get to it in print, I started to listen to Dead Until Dark and so far it is great.

Julie P. 4/29/10, 10:27 AM  

We just discussed this book at my last book club. The hostess served lots of sweet tea!

bermudaonion 4/29/10, 11:26 AM  

I'm not sure what kind of tea they'd drink, but it would be in their best china or glasses!

Literate Housewife 4/29/10, 11:45 AM  

I have this one coming up very soon myself. I never thought about using my library's audio collection to help me out when I have a physical book I'm needing to fit it. You have opened my eyes, my friend!

Kim 4/29/10, 11:52 AM  

This is one of my '10 favorites. I read it while down with pneumonia during the winter and found it to be a comfort read. Such great characters--and I think some seet tea is definitely in order!
*smiles*

Unknown 4/29/10, 12:02 PM  

Iv'e been wanting to read this one for awhile..I'm so glad you mentioned you listened to it. I don't know why I didn't think to check my library for the audio version! I know have it requested and I can't wait for my turn to listen to it.

Margot 4/29/10, 12:57 PM  

This one is still on my wish list. I didn't think to check for audio downloads. Good idea. Thanks.

Belle 4/29/10, 1:58 PM  

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt sounds like a wonderful read. I'll have to see if my library carries it. I like chai but don't drink it as often as I'd like.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 4/29/10, 2:36 PM  

I loved CEECEE, and your tea sounds great for these cooler nights. Yes, CeeCee likely would go for the chai - she's not afraid of a little adventure.

Dorte H 4/29/10, 3:16 PM  

The book sounds great.

I should probably be drinking some tea (for a sore throat), but I have a feeling my husband is on his way to offer me a mug of coffee - and I won´t say no :D

I am devouring Danish crime right now; fortunately I went to the library before my throat and my whining set in.

Sandy Nawrot 4/29/10, 4:42 PM  

They're Southern, so any tea would do! As long as it is sweetened. I need to see if my library has this on audio...

kikiv68 4/29/10, 6:08 PM  

I am happpy to hear you enjoyed the book too! I met Beth Hoffman and she was fabulous. I enjoyed every minute reading this sotry, it really touches your heart.

Sharla 4/29/10, 11:26 PM  

I'm listening to this book right now too. It's a great motivator to get my walk in and listen at the same time.

I just got to the part where her aunt Tootie shows up to get her. Sad about her Mom. I'm betting CeeCee goes with her great aunt, but I don't know yet.

Happy listening!

Beth Hoffman 4/30/10, 12:17 PM  

I'm so glad you're enjoying CeeCee story. I bet the effervescent Thelma Rae Goodpepper would just love to join you for a cup of Indian Spice tea!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP