03 May 2010

Review: A Place for Frogs by Melissa Stewart

A Place for Frogs by Melissa Stewart is a nonfiction picture book (illustrated by Higgins Bond) that helps youngsters learn about Central and North American frogs.

Each spread shows a different species of frog in its natural environment and a fact about how humans may be threatening that habitat. There is also a story about how people were able to help protect that type of frog or suggestions for what can be done.

At the end of the book are ideas for how to help save frogs and their habitats. There is also a list of kid-friendly resources for readers who are ready to learn more. The endpapers of the book provide maps showing the range of each of the species mentioned. Note that no matter where you live in Canada or the United States, at least one frog will be native to your area.

Here's an example of what the pages look like (click to enlarge):

Any elementary school student who is outdoorsy or is interested in animals would take to this book. I think parents will have to determine when their child is at the right age for A Place for Frogs: Some kids will be ready for this as early as age four, but most not until they are a bit older. The text is factual without being too dry, and the illustrations are engaging but not babyish.

Melissa Stewart has also written similar books about birds and butterflies and is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators board of advisers and a judge for the American Institute of Physics Children's Science Writing Award.

For more on Melissa and how youngsters can get involved in environmental issues, don't miss this Earth Day interview with her at The World of Peachtree Publishers. There you will also find links to a great guide for teachers, librarians, and homeschoolers; activity sheets; and more.

A Place for Frogs at Powell's
These links lead to affiliate programs.

Published by Peachtree Publishers, 2010
ISBN-13: 9781561455218
Challenges: New Author, 100+
YTD: 39
Source: Review (see review policy)
Rating: B

7 comments:

bermudaonion 5/3/10, 9:49 AM  

This would be great for the kids in our neighborhood. We have 2 ponds and tons of frogs. They sure do make a racket in the summer!

Julie P. 5/3/10, 1:47 PM  

Very cool book. I know a little guy that would find it interesting!

Peachtree Publishers 5/3/10, 5:05 PM  

Thanks Mrs. Beth Fish Reads! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book. I have a love of frogs, so I'm always excited when others love this book. My first non-book related frog memory? Taking my pet frog out of it's aquarium as a little kid and putting it in my baby sister's crib when I was about 4, so that I could watch it hop around better. That was a great frog...

Jenners 5/3/10, 8:51 PM  

Well, since I'm raising a wannabe scientist who drags home book after book of non-fiction from his library day at school, I suspect this would be a big hit in our household.

nat @book, line, and sinker 5/3/10, 10:42 PM  

my nephew is on a frog and reptile kick right now...this one might be a bit old for him but i'll put it on HIS tbr list. :)

Dorte H 5/4/10, 2:55 PM  

Wonderful pictures! My children would have loved this book when they were younger. (My son´s hobby was dinosaurs, however, he even baked one once).

Peter 5/6/10, 3:11 AM  

I love you works and hope to contact you in feature as we have much to share.
We can be better than what we are now.
www.ilovetanzania.blogspot.com www.ajirazetu.blogspot.com www.harusiyetu.blogspot.com

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP