12 June 2010

Weekend Cooking: Tea Wisdom by Aaron Fisher

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

Tea Wisdom by Aaron Fisher is a collection of quotations from authors around the world and through time about tea. Some are funny, some are inspirational, and some make you think. The book is about six inches square and is beautifully illustrated with photographs of prints, tea plants and leaves, and tea sets, all in an Asian style.

Tea Wisdom would make a great hostess gift or stocking stuffer and would charmingly round out a gift basket that included a mug and a tin of tea. It's not the kind of book to sit down and read in one sitting but one to browse through at your leisure.

The book is divided into seven chapters, and I thought I'd share a quote from each one.

Chapter 1: Good Living
There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be diminished by a nice cup of tea. --Bernard-Paul Heroux
Chapter 2: Good Health
Tea is an elixir for good health, a miraculous means of prolonging one's life. --Sen, quoted by Ryofu Pusse
Chapter 3: Good Spirits
There is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chapter 4: Good Company
Teas and books--mmmmmm, two of life's exquisite pleasures that together bring near bliss. --Christine Hanrahan
Chapter 5: Traditions
The spirit of the tea beverage is one of peace, comfort, and refinement. --Arthur Gray
Chapter 6: Reviving Yourself
As daylight breaks let none of us plead tiredness, / But over tea continue our debate. --Cao Xue Ain, translated by David Hawkes
Chapter 7: Relfection & Meditation
Doing nothing is respectable at tea. --Sasaki Sanmi
Each page has one to four quotations, so there are quite a few in this 240-page book. Enjoy!

Tea Wisdom at Powell's
These links lead to affiliate programs.

Published by Tuttle Publishing, 2009
ISBN-13: 9780804839785
Source: Review (see review policy)



10 comments:

Anonymous,  6/12/10, 7:12 AM  

Although I'm a s*cker for 'a cuppa' this book doesn't seem to be 'my cup of tea' ;) Last year a got a similar book of cat wisdom... Now I adore cats, but I just don't feel I have the time to spend on this kind of coffee table books. I've got the good bits from your post anyway! LOL

Kaye 6/12/10, 7:22 AM  

Number 4 is spot on! What a great quote. I love the cover of the book. Thanks for sharing.

caite 6/12/10, 7:42 AM  

I must agree with Kaye on the truth of #4.
But I also love the first. I remember reading that idea in a book once...for some reason I think it was The Shipping News...that when things are bad, the first thing to do is make a cup of tea, strong, sweet tea.

Michele 6/12/10, 8:23 AM  

If #7 is true, you may have just converted me from a coffee to a tea drinker!

Rikki 6/12/10, 9:03 AM  

I@m not so much of a tea drinker, but I do love quotes. No. 7 is definitely the best.

bermudaonion 6/12/10, 10:03 AM  

If I saw this book somewhere, I'd instantly think of you and Julie and all your tea conversations on Twitter!

Julie P. 6/12/10, 10:17 AM  

What a precious book. And I do think it would be perfect in a tea gift basket!

Margot 6/12/10, 12:18 PM  

I love #7 - worth taking up or justifying the drinking of tea. At least it works for me.

Tiina 6/12/10, 3:47 PM  

Great quotes! That book would be a perfect gift for anyone who loves tea.

Greetings,
Tiina

Jane in AUSTRALIA 6/13/10, 6:40 AM  

I nitice this is helping me improve what I eat on the weekend
Love the other posts

Jane

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP