11 August 2010

Review: For the King by Catherine Delors

When an assassination attempt on Napoleon Bonaparte goes horribly wrong, leaving the First Consul alive and many innocent citizens wounded or dead, it's up to Chief Inspector Roch Miquel to discover who was responsible and then to capture them.

In 1800, the police did not have access to international electronic files, fingerprints, or forensic medicine. What they did have were politics, payoffs, bribes, and other forms of corruption. By the time the investigation and trial are over, Roch would come to see his own naivete as he witnessed executions, deportations, and the true nature of the women in his life.

Catherine Delors's For the King has all the elements that make historical fiction compelling and then goes even further. The novel is a little bit history, a little bit mystery, and a little bit love story, and the mix works beautifully.

Several elements make this story come alive. First, the novel is based on real events and real people, and Delors's research and careful re-creation of the original investigation and her descriptions of 1800 Paris pull the reader into the setting. Second, the fleshing out of the individuals and the sequence of events along with the thoughtful embellishing of the facts build interest in the mystery and keep the reader invested.

For the King will appeal to readers who enjoy historical fiction and/or historical mysteries and thrillers. I'm looking forward to reading more by Delors.

Stop back tomorrow when I'll be hosting Catherine Delors here on Beth Fish Reads. I'm pleased to be able to share her post with you and to offer a copy of For the King to one of you.

For the King at Powell's
For the King at Book Depository
These links lead to affiliate programs

Published by Penguin / Dutton, 2010
ISBN-13: 9780525951742

Challenges: Historical Fiction, 100+
YTD: 71
Source: Review (see review policy)
Rating: B+
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy)

14 comments:

Julie P. 8/11/10, 7:25 AM  

I really enjoyed this book. I think I tend to get tired of pure historical fiction so the suspense element made it extra special.

Sandy Nawrot 8/11/10, 7:57 AM  

To look at the cover and the title, you would think it was pure historical fiction. This might be the perfect way for me to ease into the historical fiction genre, as I do love my mysteries. I also enjoy learning about events that actually occurred. Nice!

Meghan 8/11/10, 8:44 AM  

I have been meaning to read one of Catherine Delors's books - this one sounds fabulous. I need to get my hands on a copy definitely now.

S. Krishna 8/11/10, 9:10 AM  

I definitely want to read this one. From the cover, I would have assumed it was about a woman, but clearly that's not the case!

Pam 8/11/10, 11:42 AM  

ah! you are adding yet another book to my I want to read this list!

TheBookGirl 8/11/10, 12:16 PM  

This looks really good...I have not read any of her books, and am glad to find out about her work!

Darlene 8/11/10, 12:39 PM  

Nice review. This one sounds fantastic! I do love historical fiction - wish I had time to read more of it.

bermudaonion 8/11/10, 1:50 PM  

I love books that are based on true events. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Amy 8/11/10, 4:23 PM  

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 8/11/10, 9:57 PM  

This sounds like a winner to me ... I've grown tired of straight historical fiction, but the mystery (and the true love story) seem to round it out nicely.

Amused 8/11/10, 10:45 PM  

I think this book sounds great since I am historical fiction addict - I'll have to add it to my wishlist!

Marg 8/11/10, 10:56 PM  

Glad you enjoyed this one. I too will be looking forward to reading more from Delors.

wisteria 8/12/10, 5:43 PM  

This one has been in my radar. Thanks for the review..adding it to the wishlist.

Jennifer 8/15/10, 1:38 PM  

I like that it's part history, part mystery, and part love story. I love all three!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP