02 August 2010

Review: How Dolly Parton Saved My Life by Charlotte Connors

Summary: I started reading How Dolly Parton Saved My Life by Charlotte Connors for my Skype book club. We had decided some light chick lit was in order for the summer. Here's the publisher's summary:

Dolly Parton once said," If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one." In the bustling city of Atlanta, four very different ladies take her advice to heart and open a catering business that will cater to the successful, independent women who put their families first.

But flouting the traditions and expectations of Southern society turns out to be more complicated than they ever anticipated. Even as the pressure of running a business bonds them together, the realities of managing real life threaten to tear the whole thing apart. As financial woes, personal hurts, and family troubles test the strength of their business and their friendship, they discover that sisterly support and lots of heartfelt prayer just might be the only way to survive.

Full of sass, grit, and good old-fashioned faith, How Dolly Parton Saved My Life is a hilarious and poignant look at friendship with a distinctly Southern flair.
Why I Abandoned the Book: I have never been a huge fan of chick lit and often have trouble with women's literature; unfortunately, this book did nothing to convince me that I have been missing out. Although I was aware that How Dolly Parton Saved My Life was Christian fiction, I was not prepared for just how much of the novel would focus on religion and praying. I think I could have gotten beyond all of those issues, if only I had related better to the four main characters and their problems. In short, the book was simply not a good match for me.

A Quick Look at Reviews: How Dolly Parton Saved My Life has earned 3 stars on one of the major bookstore sites; on the social book cataloging sites, the book has a average rating of close to 3 stars. I found one book blogger review at Lesa's Book Critiques, who summarizes: "It's an enjoyable book, but with better character development [it] could be a much stronger book." If you like light chick lit and Christian fiction, you might pick this as a beach read.


Published by Broadway Books, 2008
ISBN-13: 9780767926560

eBook, 100+
YTD: 68
Source: Bought (see review policy)
Rating: DNF
Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy)

19 comments:

bermudaonion 8/2/10, 7:33 AM  

I did finish this one, but it was just okay for me. I thought it was a little silly.

Julie P. 8/2/10, 8:06 AM  

I finished this one too. While I didn't love it, I thought it was ok entertainment for a few hours.

S. Krishna 8/2/10, 8:23 AM  

Totally agree with your review - this book was just not for me!

Molly 8/2/10, 8:44 AM  

Clever title - but seeing how I am not a fan of chick lit either, I think I will pass. Thanks for the honest review!

Sandy Nawrot 8/2/10, 10:08 AM  

Ack! I think the title is funny, but I'm really not in the mood often for silly chick lit. Unless it is clever.

Jennifer-Girls Gone Reading 8/2/10, 10:31 AM  

Sorry this one didn't work out...the title is cute. I think a trip to Dollywood would save my life today!

s 8/2/10, 1:39 PM  

Im not a huge chicklit fan but love ur reviews...also the title is real intruiging...

Margot 8/2/10, 3:08 PM  

I like chick lit and don't mind well done Christian fiction. What I can't forgive is characters that aren't well developed. I hope you didn't waste too much time on this one.

Unknown 8/2/10, 3:56 PM  

Sorry you didn't like this one but thanks for the honest review. I do like chick lit, but don't do well with Christian fiction, so I'll be passing on this one.

Dorte H 8/2/10, 5:52 PM  

When I want easy entertainment I choose cozy mysteries, not chicklit. As a Christian I sometimes feel I should like Christian fiction, but sadly I think far too much of it is of poor, literary quality, at least in Scandinavia.

Unknown 8/2/10, 7:19 PM  

I have seen this one at the book store. I don't read Christian fiction. I am glad you put it in the post. I don't like romance, but at times especially the summer months I do read Chick-Lit. Smart, wise, women, and business oriented at times it can be fun to read. Especially when you are in school and reading very intense reading.

Amy 8/2/10, 10:32 PM  

Although now that I'm looking at their site I see quite a few familiar authors to Christian fiction. So interesting!

Amy 8/2/10, 10:32 PM  

oops my first comment didn't post...sigh. I meant to say that I didn't realize it was Christian fiction b/c I haven't seen this author associate with CF before. Sorry all!

Amy 8/2/10, 10:33 PM  

And now for a third comment. I was confused and the Christian titles were Waterbrook which IS Christian fiction.

Unknown 8/2/10, 10:41 PM  

Errr... whats a Skype book club? sounds interesting.... book looks good too btw :P

Amused 8/2/10, 11:09 PM  

That title of the book totally caught my eye so that is totally disappointing! While I love chicklit, christain chick lit not so much. Thanks for telling us your thoughts!

dining room table 8/3/10, 3:55 AM  

This is a great review. I love the story of your life and I am so impressed on how you deal with you problems. You are a strong person.

Jenners 8/3/10, 8:17 PM  

I don't think this would be a good match for me either.

Meghan 8/7/10, 2:49 PM  

Completely agree with you - this book just wasn't for me, either.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP