14 August 2010

Weekend Cooking: Peach Rum Sauce

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

Peaches are in season so I'm sharing another favorite peach recipe today. This is fast, easy, and delicious. It is an August tradition in my house.

The recipe comes from the August 2003 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Enjoy!

Peaches in Brown Sugar and Rum Sauce with Ice Cream

You could also dress up breakfast by spooning these peaches over waffles.

6 Servings
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 6 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 ripe peaches, peeled, halved, pitted, each cut into 8 wedges
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons dark rum
  • Vanilla or peach ice cream
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, until sugar begins to dissolve (mixture may clump together). Add peaches and vanilla. Sauté until peaches are tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in rum. Return skillet to heat and cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Spoon peaches and sauce over ice cream.

We had coconut chip ice cream last night from one of our local dairies. Yummmmm. The finished photo is not very good because the warm peaches were melting my ice cream and I was in a hurry to eat!


22 comments:

Zee 8/14/10, 7:24 AM  

Oh man do I wish I still lived in the land of decent peaches now!!! I'll save it for when I go there! Plus the friends I usually stay with will totally love the rum aspect.

Heather 8/14/10, 7:25 AM  

Oh my goodness. That looks so yummy! I haven't had breakfast yet, so my tummy is begging for some of that. We will definitely be having that VERY soon. Thank you for post it!

caite 8/14/10, 8:16 AM  

I live in the land of excellent peaches and happen to have a bag of them sitting on my counter as we speak!

Rikki 8/14/10, 8:24 AM  

Another yummy peach recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

Beth 8/14/10, 8:30 AM  

This look divine! And convenient, since I'm going peach picking today!

Julie P. 8/14/10, 8:42 AM  

Looks delicious! I'm not a huge rum fan though. How "rummy" was the flavor?

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) 8/14/10, 8:43 AM  

Last summer none of the peaches around really had much taste, but this summer they have been phenomenal. This is a great way to enhance a pretty much perfect fruit.

Beth F 8/14/10, 8:50 AM  

Julie: the rum is not strong. But you could either leave it out or use a liqueur.

Margot 8/14/10, 11:46 AM  

Yum-mm - what a perfect solution for this large surplus of peaches we have right now. I'm going to try it both ways - on ice cream and on waffles. Thanks for sharing your tradition with us.

bermudaonion 8/14/10, 12:59 PM  

Oh my gosh! I bet Carl would love this and it looks simple to make.

JoAnn 8/14/10, 1:36 PM  

I don't think I could have waited long enough to snap a picture - this looks delicious!!

rhapsodyinbooks 8/14/10, 1:39 PM  

Wow - I couldn't have waited to snap the picture either! I love rum things too - I'm always looking for an alternative to rum cake, so this is great!

Sandy Nawrot 8/14/10, 2:29 PM  

Uh! I need to make this soon. See, I tell myself that because it is a fruit dessert, it is healthy!

Madigan Mirza 8/14/10, 8:05 PM  

Wow, I don't have anything food related to share, but I did just move to Georgia, and that peach dish looks absolutely gorgeous.
I'm inspired!
Thanks for sharing!

Jenn's Bookshelves 8/15/10, 8:38 AM  

Delicious! Peaches are really big around here now. I'll have to make this. What a delicious treat!

auntie-c 8/15/10, 11:30 AM  

Oh! Mercy! This looks soooo yummy!

Dave 8/15/10, 4:48 PM  

Even for a confirmed chocoholic like me, that looks delicious -- especially with the coconut chip ice cream. Looking forward to meeting you on the book bloggers' panel at the Baltimore Book Festival in September.

Jane in AUSTRALIA 8/16/10, 9:03 AM  

not peach season here yet. I do love peaches..fresh and juicy.
Sorry Im so late here I have had computer issues.

wisteria 8/16/10, 9:36 AM  

This looks so yummy. I haven't had ice cream in months. I am so worried about weight gain all the time. Enjoy it for me.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 8/19/10, 11:29 AM  

Oh, Sandy's funny - "a fruit dessert, so it's good for me!"

Everything sounds great, the rummed peaches *and* the coconut chip ice cream; wonderful combo!

Anonymous,  8/20/10, 3:26 PM  

I love peaches! Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP