25 November 2010

Looking to 2011: Four Reading Challenges

If you know me at all, you know I like a good reading challenge. I've been looking through the most dangerous blog on the web: A Novel Challenge -- the place to find all things challenges. Here are four challenges I'm looking forward to.

This fall I read my first steampunk book (review: Clockwork Angel) and became interested in the genre. Then I discovered the Steampunk Challenge. I love that there are "no obligations other than to have fun discovering a genre and let other participants know about what you find." I am going to commit to reading two books. Check out the announcement post for more information.

Although I didn't do very well with the South Asian Author Challenge in 2010, I am joining the newly revised South Asian Challenge in 2011. A sign-up post will be available next week, but the changes have already been announced. The new rules open up the number of qualifying works, and I'm excited to get reading. I'll be committing to three books, which will make me a South Asian Wanderer.

Kathrin is hosting the fifth annual Series Challenge. I'm committing to reading at least three books to finish or catch up in a series. I plan to read the Ellie Chronicles, the final three books in the JohnMarsden series about an alternate history Australia. There is no badge yet, but the challenge has been announced.

Here is a new and very clever challenge that Eva told me about. The One, Two, Theme! Challenge goes like this: pick a theme or topic and read a book about it, pick a second theme and read two books about it, pick a third theme and read three books about it. The total commitment is for six books, two which should be non-fiction. If I can come up with three good themes, I'm definitely going to join the challenge. Read the full rules on the dedicated blog.

I know that more and more challenges will be announced over the next month. I'll let you know which ones I plan to take on.

15 comments:

Beth Kephart 11/25/10, 6:53 AM  

you go, girl.

(and Happy Thanksgiving!)

Jen - Devourer of Books 11/25/10, 7:17 AM  

Oh, you're tempting me in my decision to not join any challenges. Maybe I should just pick one book from challenges like South Asian author and Steampunk to try to get to over the coming year.

Michelle 11/25/10, 8:14 AM  

The One Two Theme challenge sounds interesting and fun!

Have a great time!

bermudaonion 11/25/10, 8:54 AM  

You are so on top of things! I haven't even started to think about my challenges for next year. Good luck!

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) 11/25/10, 10:01 AM  

Glad you're considering joining the One, Two, Theme! I already have my themes, I just need to books to go with it.

Rikki 11/25/10, 11:13 AM  

Thanks for joining my challenge, Beth. I am also considering the One, Two Theme challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Shelley 11/25/10, 12:31 PM  

Your energy is phenomenal: more power to you and readers like you.

And Happy T Day!

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog 11/25/10, 12:59 PM  

Good luck with these! I just recently read my first Steampunk novel as well (BONESHAKER by Cherie Priest), and I highly recommend it. I might have to check out the challenge---I'm definitely intrigued by the genre.

Nise' 11/25/10, 2:27 PM  

I've got my eye on a couple of these challenges as well. Trying to decide what my plan is for 2011 or even if I should have one! ;o)

Dorte H 11/25/10, 3:58 PM  

Perhaps I´d better announce my Global Reading Challenge soon.

What about "What´s in a Name"? I am definitely in if you host it.

Anonymous,  11/26/10, 10:06 AM  

Good luck with these challenges. We overlap: I'm planning to do these, except the series challenge.

Also going to read books suggested by guest posts in my Book Bloggers Abroad event. Need to write my challenge post still!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) 11/26/10, 10:17 AM  

I'll have to go and check out A Novel Challenge. So far I have signed up for The Women of Science Fiction Book Club which is a different book each month and a discussion. I'd like to add a few Steampunk novels next year too.

Rebecca Rasmussen 11/26/10, 11:12 AM  

You all are so amazing! I still can't believe you read this many books -- I am awed, ladies :) Maybe a challenge would be good for me, too.

MJ @ Creative Madness Mama 11/30/10, 1:03 PM  

The steampunk challenge sounds neat. The series one sounds like something I shoul do.

Unknown 12/16/10, 5:22 PM  

Good luck with these challenges! I looked at the Steampunk challenge and almost signed up, but decided not to this year. There's always next year though. lol

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP