18 November 2010

Review: After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner

Catherine McClure Gildiner's teen and young adult years were both normal and odd, conservative and liberal. The memoir After the Falls begins when Gildiner's family moved from Niagara Falls to Buffalo in the early 1960s, where they all began new lives. Cathy's story is one of contrasts: public persona versus private beliefs and first judgments versus deeper analysis.

Cathy had been encouraged from a young age to be self-reliant and resourceful, and from the first day in her new school, she put her energies into fitting in and making friends. Although in appearance, she was the perfect blond preppy, wearing Villager outfits with Pappagallo shoes, in the inside she was always questioning, always just a bit rebellious, and never afraid to work.

To the outside world, she had the typical suburban upbringing: Her father went to work each morning and tended his lawn on the weekends, while her mother stayed at home. But Cathy's home life was anything but normal for the Donna Reed Show era. For example, the family ate every meal in a restaurant, and Cathy was treated almost as an adult from about the age of four.

When Cathy moved to Ohio for college, she once again had to find a way to fit in and stay true to her personal convictions. The university was an eye-opener for her, and she gradually traded in her pink and green A-line skirts and sweaters for bell-bottoms and suede jackets. Instead of trying to join a sorority, Cathy became more interested in joining the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, instead of listening to Sandra Dee, she started tuning into Buffalo Springfield.

Catherine Gildiner is about six years older than I am and was way more active in the political scene of the 1960s as a college student than I was as a high schooler. On the other hand, we share common cultural memories and experiences from the Beatles' appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show to the demonstrations in Chicago during the Democratic National Convention. Her perspective brings the decade to life, and although my upbringing was different from hers, Gildiner's story is familiar and authentic.

Cathy's memoir is the best of genre: It transports the reader to a time and place. It doesn't preach and it doesn't try to inspire or guide or give hope. It just tells a story of a young women who came of age during one of the most actively transitional times of the late twentieth century. For those who lived it, for those who remember it, for those who want to know more about it, After the Falls captures the sixties from a personal perspective that is also universal.

After the Falls is an Indie Next Pick for November 2010. To learn more about Catherine Gildiner, be sure to visit her website. Her earlier memoir, Too Close to the Falls, relates the first twelve years of her life. There is a planned third memoir, which will take us into the seventies and beyond.

After the Falls at Powell's
After the Falls at Book Depository
These links lead to affiliate programs

Published by Viking , 2010
ISBN-13: 9780670022052
YTD: 102
Source: Review (see review policy)
Rating: B+

Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy)

12 comments:

Jennifer-Girls Gone Reading 11/18/10, 7:35 AM  

I loved this book as well. Glad to see that you liked it, and I hope it finds a huge audience.

Jenn's Bookshelves 11/18/10, 9:13 AM  

You know I loved this book as well! While I didn't live through this era, it gave me a perspective that made me feel as though I did.

Anonymous,  11/18/10, 9:50 AM  

I've been hearing so many good things about this book I can't wait to read it.

Julie P. 11/18/10, 12:34 PM  

Excellent review. I'm anxious to read this one.

bermudaonion 11/18/10, 1:26 PM  

I really enjoyed this book. I think Gildiner did a great job of making that time period come to life.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 11/18/10, 9:04 PM  

I have this on my 'to be read' list as well. Did you read her earlier memoir, and, if not, did you feel like you were missing something (or does this stand solidly alone?)

Veens 11/18/10, 9:54 PM  

I read Bermudaonion's review of it too... And loved it too. Same as you, she had a great review of this one.

I am glad that you are able to tell us that this is all true ... and it is something I have added to my wishlist.

Beth F 11/19/10, 7:17 AM  

Dawn: I have not read her first memoir but this one stands solidly on its own.

Rebecca Rasmussen 11/19/10, 9:53 AM  

This book sounds fantastic -- the cover drew me in right away -- and the lovely title. Thank you; I hadn't heard of this author before.

Unknown 11/19/10, 5:13 PM  

This is the 2nd positive review I've read of this book..I'm definitely interested in this one.

Classic Romance Novels 11/20/10, 2:33 PM  

Nice review! I have not read a good memoir in a while and this looks like a very interesting one. Thanks for posting this!

Jenners 11/20/10, 3:51 PM  

Sounds like it really resonated with you. Don't you love whne books do that?

And I'm curious that her mom was home all the time but they ate out at a restaurant every night!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP