29 November 2010

Review: Tall Tales by Jeff Smith

I loved the nine graphic novels that made up the Bone series by Jeff Smith, so when I saw there was another Bone book, I knew I had to read it.

Tall Tales by Jeff Smith with Tom Sniegoski consists of four stories told by Smiley Bone to four young Bone Scouts (well three Bones and Bartleby, the rat creature) whom he has taken on a camping trip.

One story is a previously untold episode that takes places within the time line of the original Bone series and involves Smiley's cousins Fone Bone and Phoney Bone. The other tales introduce us to "the roughest, toughest Bone that ever lived": Big Johnson Bone, the founder of Boneville.

The humor is what you'd expect from Smith: a mix that ranges from innuendo to sarcasm to slapstick to laugh-out-loud funny. I loved the tales about Big Johnson--a Bone version of a Davy Crockett type of folk hero--and hope we get to see more of him in the future.

The artwork is terrific. Smith conveys quite a lot with a simple facial expression and body posture. He provides enough detail to set the scene without stifling the reader's imagination. The following scan is from one of the Big Johnson tales (click to enlarge):

To learn all about Jeff Smith and the Bones, visit his website Boneville.

Tall Tales at Powell's
Tall Tales at Book Depository
These links lead to affiliate programs

Published by Scholastic / Graphix, 2010
ISBN-13: 9780545140966
YTD: 105
Source: Bought (see review policy)
Rating: B+

Copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads, all rights reserved (see review policy)

9 comments:

Eva 11/29/10, 6:38 AM  

I really need to read the Bones books!

Sandy Nawrot 11/29/10, 6:53 AM  

These books are so popular in the kids' school library, the books are coming apart. I need to let the librarian know there is a new one!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 11/29/10, 7:04 AM  

Should I add the BONES books to my 'graphic TBR' pile? Sounds like I'd enjoy them!

bermudaonion 11/29/10, 12:54 PM  

I love the idea of Bone Scouts! This sounds so cute!

Jenn's Bookshelves 11/29/10, 1:03 PM  

You know, I've tried to get JJ to read the BONES series but he hasn't seemed interested. However, now that I see this one involves Scouts he might change his mind!

Pam 11/29/10, 1:18 PM  

Oh, this whole series looks really good! I'm not a big graphic novel person but for some reason this one appeals to me.

Jen - devourer of books 11/29/10, 1:43 PM  

I think you finally may have convinced me about BONES. Do I need to start with the first one?

Julie P. 11/29/10, 5:08 PM  

You just reminded me that I want to read these!

Unknown 4/12/21, 6:01 PM  

My kids LOVED this title almost as much as me!!!

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP