08 November 2010

Thankfully Reading Weekend: 2010

Last year a few of us decided that the best way to spend Thanksgiving weekend was to sneak in as much reading time as possible. After all, meals are mostly leftovers, the television screen is displaying football, and the rest of the country is shopping.

The 2009 Thankfully Reading Weekend was so much fun, Jenn (of Jenn's Bookshelves), Jen of Devourer of Books, and I decided to host the event again.

So what is Thankfully Reading Weekend? First let me assure you that you don't need to be from the USA to set aside a weekend to read--so don't be shy join right in.

There are no rules to the weekend and no prizes (well, except one!); we're simply hoping to devote a good amount of time to reading, and perhaps meeting some of our reading challenges and goals for 2010. We thought it'd be fun if we cheered each other on a bit.

If you think you can join in, head on over to Jenn's Bookshelves, grab the button, and sign on to Mr. Linky (available starting today). If you don't have a blog, use the comments!

The dates for reading heaven (aka Thankfully Reading Weekend) are Friday November 26 to Sunday November 28. On that Friday, stop by Jenn's Bookshelves where you'll find a Mr. Linky. Feel free to link as many posts as you'd like. On Sunday we'll will put up another Mr. Linky (at Jenn's) for your wrap-up post.

The idea is just to see what everyone is reading and to have fun talking about books. Read as much or as little as you want. Remember: There are no rules! You can participate in the weekend even if you have time to read only 50 pages.

One small change is that we're going to host one giveaway: It's a fun and easy meme and will be open worldwide. You'll have to come back here (Beth Fish Reads) on Friday (Nov. 26) for information.

We hope you'll start making plans to take an hour, a day, or three days to join in Thankfully Reading Weekend.

19 comments:

Sandy Nawrot 11/8/10, 6:45 AM  

There is no peace at the Nawrots over Thanksgiving! I remember being quite jealous last year when thinking about all of you peacefully reading! As for those challenges, I'm in big trouble!

Sandy Nawrot 11/8/10, 6:45 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary (Bookfan) 11/8/10, 8:59 AM  

I could have written Sandy's comment. Wish I could join in but I don't think I'll even be able to commit to 50 pages! Read a few pages for me, please.

Anonymous,  11/8/10, 10:02 AM  

Well, I'm really hoping to join in this sounds like fun. I'll be traveling so we'll be listening. But since my husband is the driver I think I can get even more reading in.

The Bumbles 11/8/10, 11:00 AM  

I'll be sure to mention this during our Thankful Blogging chat topic on 11/19. Stop by yourself if you can. Nice concept, I remember you guys doing this last year. Since I enjoy the football side of Thanksgiving, I am always distracted by it. But as things wind down and family needs space, I'm sure I'll sneak off to get in some reading.

bermudaonion 11/8/10, 2:34 PM  

I have a feeling we'll be out of town for Thanksgiving, so this probably won't work for me, but I think it's a great idea!

Vasilly 11/8/10, 6:15 PM  

You guys have made my day! I can't wait to sign up!

Veens 11/8/10, 8:22 PM  

We are going on a trip that weekend, which I am looking forward to. But I will miss this :(

Marg 11/8/10, 9:51 PM  

I would love to be participating in this, but I am off interstate for that weekend. I will be thankful if I can get any reading in!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 11/8/10, 10:14 PM  

Oh, I'm envious of all the Thankfully Reading participants! I'm afraid all I'll be reading is a road map and/or the inside of my eyelids as I sleep of the turkey, etc.!

Have a wonderful long weekend with this.

Michelle 11/9/10, 5:43 AM  

Fantastic! I've currently got a slow weekend scheduled so I'll be participating as much as I can. :)

Buried In Print 11/9/10, 8:34 AM  

Sounds like great fun: I'm hoping that our schedule leaves some time to join in the festivities!

Beth Hoffman 11/9/10, 9:18 AM  

You bloggers delight me with your ideas! I'll be watching and reading what y'all have to say.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) 11/9/10, 12:08 PM  

That sounds like a marvelous idea! I won't go anywhere near a store on (Black) Friday and my office is closed for the holiday, giving me a peaceful day at home to read! Unless of course by some miracle it's a gorgeous day and instead I go out and take nature photographs. Ahhh, I'm sure I'll find some reading time that weekend.

Margot 11/9/10, 3:26 PM  

I remember wanting to join in last year but we were overwhelmed with family that weekend. This year it's a much smaller number so I believe I'll have some quality time to devote to reading. Thanks for sponsoring the event.

Heather 11/9/10, 3:57 PM  

As far as I know I'm in. I know I want to be in! I'm just not quite sure what we're doing that weekend. I hope a whole lot of nothing. Nothing but reading! lol

Anonymous,  11/9/10, 9:10 PM  

Hmmm, my weekend will be fairly low-key, so I might just join in!

Unknown 11/11/10, 4:24 PM  

I think I'll actually be signing up for this one! I've never done one of these challenges before, but that weekend should hopefully be pretty low-key for me. The only thing I have is a race on Saturday that will mean I'm out of the house all morning, but I know I'll want to rest all afternoon and why not do that with some friends and a good book?

Bitsy Bling Books 11/13/10, 1:49 PM  

Thanksgiving is canceled at my house this year. My son can't come home from college because his football team is playing (good for him, sad for me). Daughter is at Dad's this year and my mother is having eye surgery. So this is a blessing for me. I can read while I help her recover! Thanks for hosting. I am really thankful to have a worthwhile activity.

Charlie
Bitsy Bling Books
I'll be having a bunch of giveaways going on during this time too. Hope everyone can stop by and enter to win some goodies.
http://www.bitsyblingbooks.com

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP