13 November 2010

Weekend Cooking: Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

Last week I posted some photos of soft wheat dinner rolls I had baked for a dinner with friends. The rolls were well liked by everyone and so I thought I'd share the recipe.

I've mentioned Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook before as being one of my go-to bread books. When I bake, I knead the dough by bread machine, by hand, or by stand mixer depending on how much time I have and how much dough I'm making. I always bake my bread in the oven, often on a stone. You can use the following recipe to make the rolls any way that works for you, even though the directions are written for a bread machine.

Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

Makes 16
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into pieces
  • 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons SAF yeast pr 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Place all ingredients in the pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Program for the dough cycle; press start.

Grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper. When the dough is ready, turn it out onto a light floured surface. Divide the dough in half, and then roll each half into a 2- to 3-inch cylinder. With a metal dough scraper or chef's knife, cut the cylinder into 8 equal portions. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Shape each piece of dough as desired, and place them in the pan in two rows of 8 with their sides touching. Brush the tops with melted butter if desired. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or with a tea towel and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375F. Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the rolls from the pan and let cool on a rack. Serve warm or cool to room temperature and reheat before serving.



18 comments:

Anonymous,  11/13/10, 6:19 AM  

Ah, in a bread machine! No wonder they looked so perfect. I don't have one so I will have to make my rolls the artisan way.

JoAnn 11/13/10, 8:13 AM  

I'm so glad you posted this! Will give these a try this week. Thanks.

Julie P. 11/13/10, 8:27 AM  

Those sound decadent! WOW! I just started making my quick and easy bread again this week!

Beth 11/13/10, 8:37 AM  

I love my bread machine! I love how it helps me to make bread! Now, I will admit I went to a King Arthur traveling demo yesterday and now I really want to try bread by hand, but I know the bread machine will always have a place in my kitchen!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews 11/13/10, 9:44 AM  

We seem to be stuck in a 'bread rut' over the last few weeks. I guess that just goes to show, how much this staple food is such a big part of all our lives.

I must admit to feeling sorry for those with wheat and other allergies. I have tried gluton free bread, just to see what the experience is like. Let's just say, it is not an experiment that I shall be repeating!!

Yvonne

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 11/13/10, 9:47 AM  

You may inspire me to use my bread machine for more than just making pizza dough!

The smell of fresh bread/rolls baking is such a lift thru the winter.

Margot 11/13/10, 12:07 PM  

I like the addition of the sour cream with the milk. I'll bet this is a nice soft but rich roll. I'll have to try it out.

chrisa511 11/13/10, 6:39 PM  

I have this book and I absolutely LOVE this recipe :D

Jenners 11/13/10, 7:46 PM  

I had a breadmaker long ago ... things just never quite tasted right.

Sheila (Bookjourney) 11/14/10, 12:19 PM  

I wish I still had my bread machine... I hardly used it but now I see posts like this and the thought of making bread really appeals to me.

Anonymous,  11/14/10, 12:32 PM  

I may very well have to find myself a bread machine. I have never made bread but I do so enjoy it.

Gnoe 11/14/10, 12:54 PM  

Bread baking machine... should put that on my wish list for Santa Claus! ;)

Anonymous,  11/14/10, 3:37 PM  

I'm afraid if I get a bread machine I will soon weight 1000 pounds from endlessly eating bread.

Alice 11/14/10, 6:38 PM  

My mom would love this. She bakes really well. Thanks for the recipe!

Heather 11/15/10, 2:59 PM  

Holy Cow. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Thank you for sharing, those sound wonderful.

Veens 11/16/10, 7:38 AM  

Someday I will make bread lol!

Heather 11/19/10, 1:12 PM  

The sour cream and the honey sound like a tasty combination.

Unknown 11/19/10, 5:11 PM  

These sound really good..I think I might try these and see if it's a good alternative to the normal white flour rolls that I make.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP