04 December 2010

Weekend Cooking: Foodies at the Movies

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share from the past week: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

_______

Sometimes a foodie needs a little break from reality. Here are two light, fun movies to help you escape into someone else's kitchen.

No Reservations stars Catherine Zeta-Jones as Kate and Aaron Eckhart as Nick. Kate is a driven restaurant chef who gets up at the crack of dawn to get the best ingredients at the markets to serve to her upscale New York City clientele. Her independent and self-sufficient ways are shattered when she suddenly becomes the sole guardian of her niece Zoe. In the meantime, the restaurant owner hires Nick to be Kate's sous chef. All this change may be too much for Kate to handle.

Although the plot is predictable, the scenes of the New York food markets are memorable and much of the movie revolves around the kitchen. The acting is good, and the plot is fun. Note that the special features on the Blue Ray disc include footage of Emeril Lagasse recreating some of the dishes from the movie.


The next movie is Baby Boom starring Diane Keaton. This has a similar setup but a completely different plot. The high-powered J. C. Wiatt has a corporate job, a boyfriend, and a killer instinct for business. When a distant relative dies and leaves her an inheritance, J.C. is dreaming of money. What she gets instead is a baby girl.

After J.C. decides to keep Elizabeth, her world turns upside down: she loses her job and her boyfriend leaves. In desperation, she moves to Vermont to start her life over. Things aren't going very well, until one day she decides to make fresh applesauce for the baby.

Diane Keaton and Sam Shepard are great in this romantic comedy. Of course, you know what will happen, but that doesn't take away from fun. The applesauce scenes didn't make it to the theatrical trailer.




26 comments:

Marg 12/4/10, 6:22 AM  

I haven't seen the second one, but I don't mind No Reservations when I am in a rom com kind of mood! I haven't seen much of Aaron Eckhart but he was quite tasty in this movie.

Sandy Nawrot 12/4/10, 7:12 AM  

Baby Boom is one of my all-time favorite movies. It has always been a fantasy movie for me, especially when I was working. Yes you can have it all! I can just see myself running my organic baby food company from my quaint little place in Vermont, dating the handsome local vet! (No offense to my husband!!!)

caite 12/4/10, 7:32 AM  

both great movies...love that 'vet from happyville!' lol
I forgot about the who;e food tie in with that one.

Anonymous,  12/4/10, 8:14 AM  

I LOVE Baby Boom!

I've never seen No Reservations but there's a foreign film that sounds exactly like it. I can't remember the name of it...and it's probably going to drive me crazy until I do ;-)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 12/4/10, 8:15 AM  

Movies are a great escape! I'm laughing about Sandy's VT dream (why stop there ... if we're dreaming let's include a nanny, personal chef, etc!)

Anonymous,  12/4/10, 8:18 AM  

Mostly Martha ! That's the name of it. I loved that movie.

Anonymous,  12/4/10, 8:20 AM  

Oh...and I second Sandy's fantasy. Not Vermont,though. Too cold.

Beth F 12/4/10, 8:29 AM  

Jupiter: Oh thanks for looking that up. Now I'm going to have to rent Mostly Martha!

Care 12/4/10, 8:58 AM  

My favorite food-themed movie is SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Pam 12/4/10, 9:08 AM  

Oh, No Reservations looks SO cute! Haven't seen it but I need to.

Beth 12/4/10, 9:09 AM  

I've never heard of Baby Boom--I'll have to check it out!

TheBookGirl 12/4/10, 9:31 AM  

I loved both these movies. In fact, Baby Boom was the first movie I saw with husband (at the time we were "just friends")!

bermudaonion 12/4/10, 9:35 AM  

I haven't seen either of those movies, but I do love a good foodie movie!

Anonymous,  12/4/10, 12:05 PM  

I love Baby Boom and even though it is very 80s (oh, shoulder pads how we miss you) I can watch it again and again. Catherine Zeta Jones bugs me for some reason so I don't know how much I'd like No Reservations but I may have to rent it to see.

Margot 12/4/10, 12:55 PM  

You picked two fun movies to highlight today. I'm going to have to watch them again and also see if I can find Mostly Martha.

Robin M 12/4/10, 3:33 PM  

Great choices. I've seen both of them. Both were touching at points. It's been a while since I've seen baby boom. Will have to watch it again.

Heather 12/4/10, 3:51 PM  

I haven't seen either of these movies, though NO Reservations sounds appealing.

Julie P. 12/4/10, 5:28 PM  

Fun post! I love foodie movies too!

Darlene 12/4/10, 6:24 PM  

Baby Boom is one of my all time favorite movies. It's one I always pick to read when I'm feeling blue.

Peaceful Reader 12/4/10, 9:06 PM  

I love, love movie escapes!! Thanks for highlighting these two.

Margaret @ BooksPlease 12/5/10, 1:15 PM  

Movies featuring food are always tempting!

Rebecca Rasmussen 12/5/10, 1:58 PM  

This is so funny: I just watched No Reservations last night, and ate way too much food as a result of the yummy scenes! xoxo

Crystal (I totally paused!) 12/5/10, 3:13 PM  

I'm pretty sure I've seen bits and pieces of Baby Boom, it was fun!

I've got an award for you over at my blog :)
http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=1972

auntie-c 12/5/10, 3:35 PM  

Have seen bits of each of these, but never the entire movie. Will have to add to the queue.

Jenners 12/5/10, 4:24 PM  

I'm sure these are glamorized a bit ... but they still sound like fun.

Heather 12/6/10, 4:54 PM  

I loved Aaron Eckhart in No Reservations! He's adorable in every movie he's in. I had no idea what Baby Boom was about, the cover always led me to believe it was something a bit different! Now I want to see it. I hope it's on Netflix watch instantly!

Julie & Julia is one of my favorite foodie movies.

Thanks for stopping by. I read all comments and may respond here, via e-mail, or on your blog. I visit everyone who comments, but not necessarily right away.

I cannot turn off word verification, but if you are logged into Blogger you can ignore the captcha. I have set posts older than 14 days to be on moderation. I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm so sorry if this means you have to register or if you have trouble commenting.

Copyright

All content and photos (except where noted) copyright © cbl for Beth Fish Reads 2008-2020. All rights reserved.

Quantcast

Thanks!

To The Blogger Guide, Blogger Buster, Tips Blogger, Our Blogger Templates, BlogU, and Exploding Boy for the code for customizing my blog. To Old Book Illustrations for my ID photo. To SEO for meta-tag analysis. To Blogger Widgets for the avatars in my comments and sidebar gadgets. To Review of the Web for more gadgets. To SuziQ from Whimpulsive for help with my comments section. To Cool Tricks N Tips for my Google +1 button.

Quick Linker

Services

SEO

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP